Fisher in the Hills; Robin Ade

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Fisher in the Hills; Robin Ade

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Good evening, today the spring came to Belgium and after having done some work in the garden I sat in the sun, in shirt, sleeves rolled up and had a look at this little book, because the first chapter so beautifully describes how spring comes to my favorite place, the hills of Scotland. I very much enjoyed it again, and thought that I should present some pages to you, I am sure many of the traditional fishermen would enjoy this book. The illustrations are beautiful and the chapters take you to the little brooks and lochs of Galloway. This is very much a fishing diary but it is much more, a journey through the seasons of the hills.
Enjoy, best, Bobby
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Bobby Marlene on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GhyllManor
Grayling

Re: Fisher in the Hills; Robin Ade

Post by GhyllManor »

Precious moments found in prose when the world seems a better place, a time of contentment, especially when sitting out in the sun :)

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Ah Christoph that last picture took me back 50 years. Walking back across the bog after a day's fishing on the Moy, distracted by the chatter of eight year old me, my uncle Martin strayed from the path and stepped into a bog hole. Looking back, all I could see was his hat and the tip of his rod. It took a few glasses of poteen to restore him after that!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Sean, that´s really funny, not for your uncle...I did not believe that you could really disappear in bog hole. I´ll better look out next time in the hills! Best, Bobby

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

I too have this book, I absolutely love it, I would recommend to anyone who is interested in fishing in wild places. This is armchair fishing at its best, Mr Ade really does take the reader along for the ride. I'm a bit biased as this is almost exactly the type of fishing I do myself and the Galloway Hills aren't to far away, may have to pay homage this season.

Glad you like it Bobby, good to hear from somebody else who loves this book :Hat:

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Bobby Marlene wrote:Sean, that´s really funny, not for your uncle...I did not believe that you could really disappear in bog hole. I´ll better look out next time in the hills! Best, Bobby
It was probably an old peat working Bobby, although I've gone waist deep in holes in the Welsh mountains.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

1985 by Andre Deutsch. Best, Bobby

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Scott wrote:I too have this book, I absolutely love it, I would recommend to anyone who is interested in fishing in wild places. This is armchair fishing at its best, Mr Ade really does take the reader along for the ride. I'm a bit biased as this is almost exactly the type of fishing I do myself and the Galloway Hills aren't to far away, may have to pay homage this season.

Glad you like it Bobby, good to hear from somebody else who loves this book :Hat:
Scott, enjoy your fishing in the hills, you´re a lucky man :Hat:
Best, Bobby

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

A pity, indeed. I paid around 20 for a signed copy a few years back. I think even for 35 pounds it´s still worth it, it´s one of my best books in a relatively large collection of angling books. Bets, Bobby

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Firebird wrote:Thanks Bobby. I see it is very expensive to buy now - £35 upwards. Pity.
Wow! That is a lot, I only paid a couple of quid for mine. He has another book which I'm about to order, The Trout and Salmon Handbook, only 1p on Amazon, got to be worth a punt at that price. Here's the lowdown;

"This book is the definitive account of all the fish in the trout and salmon family."

This description sounds a lot like the work of James Prosek particularly 'An Illustrated History of Trout' and 'Trout of the World'. Interestingly enough Robin Ade gets a mention in James Prosek's Fly Fishing the 41st, I think the young Prosek has been influenced by Mr Ade...

Right, I'm getting on Amazon before the price of The Trout and Salmon Handbook goes through the roof too....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”