"French type" rod rest.

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: "French type" rod rest.

Post by AshbyCut »

Perhaps it was just an attempt to foster Angler/French relations Jim, Sir ???
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Oh - Tres bon Monsieur, tres bon!

Scott Thompson

Post by Scott Thompson »

I think its more for holding a pole than a rod, thats possibly where the 'French' comes from. Ive seen a few pole rests that look like they have evolved from that rest.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

AC I HAVE HAD ONE OF THOSE FOR OVER 20 YEARS AND IT CAN COME IN QUITE HANDY AND YES IT WAS A POLE REST AS I BOUGHT MINE IN FRANCE AFTER SEEING ONE IN USE SO DONT BE PUT OFF USE IT AND ENJOY IT AND YOU WILL FIND IT USEFUL
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

I took my Allcock's rod rest out on sunday, in a similar style. Deading baiting for pike so a rod rest required.....no joy on the fish front though :Cry: .

The rest worked great, kept the line off the racing surface.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Thank you Gord and Badger1 ... excellent information, Gentlemen.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Estaban wrote:Very nice AC, but how does one mount a bite alarm on it? :Wink:
Ah, it must be rather difficult to place a penny on the edge of the spool with it sloping like that :laugh:
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Well ... it's taken 8 years ... and the original photos in this thread may have been lost in the 'tinypic' debacle ... BUT ... I have always been intrigued by this rod rest,

NOW ...with the arrival of "Catalogue No. 17" from Albert Smith & Co. Ltd. of Redditch the answer has arrived (unless Redditch was in France back in the day !!!).

Top right of page 29 is the very item ... and very reasonably priced at only 1 shilling !!!

Needless to say I will be sitting my Albert Smith & Co, Ltd. "No 53. The Royal Gem" in this rod which features in the same 1937 catalogue. They belong together !!!!!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I may still have a similar item. I always thought it was a 'pole' rest. I cannot remember ever using it.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

This type of rod rest is still sold in French tackle shops and supermarkets. I have only seen a few being used on the bank, except for one particular water where just about every angler was using one per rod.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”