"French type" rod rest.

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Duckett
Tench

Re: "French type" rod rest.

Post by Duckett »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:51 pm This type of rod rest is still sold in French tackle shops and supermarkets. I have only seen a few being used on the bank, except for one particular water where just about every angler was using one per rod.
I picked up one of these from a vintage tools stall in a market in Cambridgeshire a few years ago. Solid iron, weighs a ton but does the job when I can bother carrying it! Had to admit, I thought it was for a pole. The stall holder had no idea what it was and it cost me £1!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

ImageI got fed up with taking these Allcocks distributed rod rests to Redditch as nobody even looked at them. Perhaps I was wrong.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Fredline wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:28 pm I got fed up with taking these Allcocks distributed rod rests to Redditch as nobody even looked at them. Perhaps I was wrong.
Once you know what the heck they are John, I think the main problem is getting the rod and reel balanced on them properly! I also find the one I have a bit low to be honest!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Some sea boat rod rests are very similar style.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”