CANE CATAPULT

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Freeliner
Stickleback

CANE CATAPULT

Post by Freeliner »

Good evening all. I hope this finds everyone safe and well?
Wanted to enquire if anyone has made or purchased a built cane catapult and if so details of build methods/materials used or from where they made their purchase?

Kindest regards,
Freeliner

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Re: CANE CATAPULT

Post by BendSomeCane »

I made a catapult from a Y shaped shaped piece of Blackthorn..
Still use it - look and works fantastic

Bendsomecane
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I was cycling down the Chelmer towpath every day in lockdown and kept spotting the same piece of cut down willow in a ‘Y’. So eventually I took a hacksaw, made three cuts, and tucked it in my coat. I removed the bark, drilled out two holes and lined them with some small metal tubing I had. I filed it all down and the elastic goes through the hole and knots behind some washers. Works a treat.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

I put up this thread some years ago about making a catapult to match a Walker landing net.

http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/vie ... 91&t=11475

Although I used a lathe and milling attachment for 50% of the build I also completed the other 50% with hand tools that everyone has and also put alternative ideas, components, or solutions where parts that had been made on the lathe could be obtained or used for persons without access to such equipment (threaded bars, bolts, turned rings etc).

The pics have just survived the Photobucket scandal but are now watermarked but still viewable.

Rgds
Neil
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Here is one I made a few years ago. Still going. The main parts are 3 pieces of whole cane. The centre block is an old offcut of mahogany or sapele. A turned wooden button at the base (I think I may have adapted the stopper from a whiskey bottle). The pouch was made from an old shoe.

Make do and mend
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I think there are plans in Paul Duffields book of " make your own Traditional Fishing Tackle" for making a cane catapult. Infact there is on page 54 whole cane catapult.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Freeliner
Stickleback

Post by Freeliner »

Good evening all, I hope this finds everyone safe and well? Following a week long visit to Redmire Pool a few weeks ago I have been busy wittling, sanding and whipping a found forked stick into a catapult. I shall attempt to post pictures once completed.
Kindest regards,
Freeliner

Freeliner
Stickleback

Post by Freeliner »

Redmire catapult now finished. I'll post photo once I can figure out how to reduce file size enough to attach.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I have lots of cane.. I must try to make one.
My last one made of Cherry.
Finished it a couple of weeks ago.. works very well.

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Freeliner
Stickleback

Post by Freeliner »

Redmire catapult all finished. Not sure if i've uploaded it correctly though so apologies if can't be viewed,

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”