Traditional scales for that monster Gonk!

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Duckett
Tench

Traditional scales for that monster Gonk!

Post by Duckett »

I commented recently in another thread that I knew someone who used postage scales for weighing Gonks. That reminder me that last time I looked for a decent Salter set they were too expensive and only went up to 4 ounces - I’m nothing if not optimistic about that monster Gonk from the deep!

Anyway, I had another look and spotted 3 Salter postal balances that weighed to 8 ounces in half ounces. I pounced on the nicest looking and, as it happened, cheapest set. My plan is to use them with a small, light string type bag.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Re: Traditional scales for that monster Gonk!

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

They are lovely Phil, You'll definitely have to use them on a Wally Gonk, hopefully in the next Gonk jolly in September if all goes well with the vaccine rollout and restrictions lifting
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I have a set of 4oz and 8oz Salter letter scales for gudgeon and small fish.
Here's a Redmire gudgeon being weighed on the 4oz set in a netting bag for oranges as a weigh sling.

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Wallyboy Rob wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:46 am They are lovely Phil, You'll definitely have to use them on a Wally Gonk, hopefully in the next Gonk jolly in September if all goes well with the vaccine rollout and restrictions lifting
I really want to go on one of those Rob!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Snape wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:55 am I have a set of 4oz and 8oz Salter letter scales for gudgeon and small fish.
Here's a Redmire gudgeon being weighed on the 4oz set in a netting bag for oranges as a weigh sling.

It’s great to know an idea works and that anglers often come up with the same ideas! I may splash out on a 4oz version!

Phil

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

For the princely sum of £8, at Snape’s suggestion, a balance for the more run of the mill stream Gonk!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Duckett wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:54 pm For the princely sum of £8, at Snape’s suggestion, a balance for the more run of the mill stream Gonk!
Excellent!
Just hope it doesn't bottom out on a trip when the 8oz one's were left at home! :Hide:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Snape wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:42 pm
Duckett wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:54 pm For the princely sum of £8, at Snape’s suggestion, a balance for the more run of the mill stream Gonk!
Excellent!
Just hope it doesn't bottom out on a trip when the 8oz one's were left at home! :Hide:
:Chuckle: :Chuckle: To be honest, the clever money is on me losing them!

Phil

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

"Puttin on the style gents"....... wonderful. ..... I could weigh nearly all I catch on those ! :Hat: Tony

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”