Fishing Hat circa 1977

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Fredline
Tench

Fishing Hat circa 1977

Post by Fredline »

We have been sorting through a pile of old photographs today and came across Jan wearing a very fetching hat from 1977. The venue looks like the Military Canal at Appledore.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Fishing Hat circa 1977

Post by Dave Burr »

Jan looks very fetching, I trust it was empty. I used to wear a green eyeshade when fishing but could never find a maggot pot big enough for my nut.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Great photo, love the hat and what a lovely day... bet it seems like yesterday.
Used to be good Pike in that stretch.
Love Romney Marsh....
I think the Pub in Appledore was the Black Lion.
Had a few pints in there in the past... and The Woolpack, on the marsh.
Good times.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

The green eyeshade brings back memories of the 1970s for me! The sunglasses I could afford then were fairly poor and I decided they made watching floats at distance more difficult. My grandmother was an enthusiastic crown green bowler. One day she overheard me saying this and lent me one of her visors to use. Job done! It was the mid-90s before i found a pair of sunglasses that did the job better!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”