Traditional sea fishing rods, reels and tackle...

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
RobGoodwin
Minnow

Traditional sea fishing rods, reels and tackle...

Post by RobGoodwin »

As a lad coming from York I occasionally used to do a bit of sea fishing on the Yorkshire coast. In the 1960s I used to marvel at fisherman casting what I thought were amazing distances with huge centrepin "Scarborough reels", and often greenheart rods before fibre glass rods became available, at places like Filey Brigg and the Marine Drive at Scarborough. The top anglers used a Scarborough reel with an oilbath bearing. Gear like this was way out of my league and my slender funds; however, I did learn to cast with a cheap tin plate Tokoz centrepin mounted at the bottom of an solid fibrecast rod. Looking back I guess I could cast around 40 yards (on a good day) and caught small coalfish - known locally in Yorkshire as billet, plus whiting and flat fish on this gear. We used spark plugs on rough ground as sinkers; they weigh around 3 oz and sometimes used 2 at a time if there was a swell on. We hammered in the electrode to form a closed loop so we could tie them on. Does anyone still have, or indeed still use "Scarborough gear" for sea fishing? As I recall, if you were right handed you swung the lead outwards and back-casted over your left shoulder. Some fearless types used this gear to fish off Bempton cliffs/Flamborough Head and could winch up a 5 lb codling from 150-200 feet below with relative ease. My mind still boggles!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Traditional sea fishing rods, reels and tackle...

Post by Wallys-Cast »

That brings back a lot of memories Rob.
I still see the odd spark plug stuck on the rocks at low tide. Another cheap sinker was nuts and bolts from the local steelworks, add more nuts if you needed more weight.

Wal.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Hi Rob, all the above seems very familiar to me, indeed there is still an angler that fishes off Filey Brigg using an Oil Bath centrepin, although with a modern rod. If you do a forum search, there is lots of information in here re sea angling and vintage tackle .

I have a few vintage cane rods /Scarborough reels and end tackles that suit, although I must admit that the cane does not get used in the salt as it in my opinion would just spoil what are now quite unusual and rare rods . I do however occasionally go boat fishing using cane and pin.

Does these photos bring back a few memories ? Please excuse the image quality , taken on my ipad camera from one of my book collection.The top picture was actually taken on Flamborough cliffs .

ImageImage

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I have a Marco Silver Monarch 10 foot, double built over a steel core. It would haul a 5lb codling up Bempton Cliffs with barely a bend in it. I would be bent after that exertion but the rod would still be pristine. I think the tc was around 6lb when I measured it.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

I've been using a 9 foot cane rod coupled with an Alvey ( courtesy of Mole Patrol) for boat fishing this Summer. My casting technique is less than elegant but l can heave leads between one and five ounces maybe 35 yards from the boat- most of the time :whistle:
I gather loops in one hand,at which point my companions are either bearing worried looks :Scared: , rolling their eyes 🙄 at my idiocy or simply waiting for something to go wrong :monkeys:
If (That should probably be an upper case IF... ) l get the timing right l can gain extra yards by flicking the drum while the lead is in flight.
I would possibly do better with more user friendly and sensitive modern tackle but it adds a bit of fun to the day.
On one occasion l handed the rod,complete with an attached conger to the chap next to me so he could share my boyish glee. He handed it back in about ten seconds - scared he would break something.
It wouldn't 've bothered me; the rod cost £9.50 and anyway some of the chaps bring bundles of spare rods with them. If l grovelled someone would've lent me one.
Hopefully .
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

I use to have a Pownall Scarborough reel which ran as smooth as a centrepin, I never used it as I didn't fancy trying to slow it down once it got going especially with cold hands :Scared:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Hi Harry, the Pownall Scarborough‘pins ran in an Oilbath and were as well behaved as an “ Ariel” but a lot bigger . I think they were actually made in Scarborough , they are quite a rarity these days .

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Old Man River wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:05 pm Hi Harry, the Pownall Scarborough‘pins ran in an Oilbath and were as well behaved as an “ Ariel” but a lot bigger . I think they were actually made in Scarborough , they are quite a rarity these days .

OMR
The one I had was bakelite and had a Slater latch so was really smooth, I also had there silent check model which looked like an old bicycle spindle with a blob of weld in the middle to give it an intermediate check with ball bearings either side held in place by cones as on a bicycle wheel. Apparently that is quite a rare model I can remember being pleasantly surprised by the price it achieved on that auction site.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I used a Marco cane rod in a boat, wreck fishing for cod and conger. It snapped at the ferrule and the tip slid down the line into the wreck. I borrowed a solid glass rod from a young lad and broke that as well. Nobody would lead me another rod!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I actually collect and use Alvey reels, got about 13 of them. There made in Australia.
My ones date from around 1950’s up to around the late 70’s.
I have some big boat reels and the bigger side casters up to 6 1/2 inches.
I have a couple of hollow class rods with the reel fitting down low Australian style. ( the but end about 8 inches from the reel.
One of my favourites in the 6 inch wooden surf master.
I do also have a nice old split cane pier rod.
I have been meaning to do a traditional day on a Pier Complete with over coat a tie and flat cap!
Brighton would have been the place buts it’s now closed to fisherman! Last time I fished on that old pier was with my grandfather when I was around 9 or 10.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”