Vintage line winder

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Kev D
Chub

Vintage line winder

Post by Kev D »

My brother and l have been busy clearing our late Father's house.
Many years ago my ex Father in Law was Head Porter at a Sotherby's sale room .After a sporting auction successful bidders had cherry-picked items from lots they had won and left broken and low value articles behind. l had freedom to pick through the rejected items before they went into a skip.
This line winder was an ltem l rescued and l gave it to Dad as he was a keen fly fisherman . As a user of neither silk or horse-hair it probably wasn't much use to him. My brother discovered it at the back of a cupboard.
For the second time in its existence it has been saved from a skip.
20200630_204748_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Vintage line winder

Post by Harry H »

Kev D wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:45 am My brother and l have been busy clearing our late Father's house.
Many years ago my ex Father in Law was Head Porter at a Sotherby's sale room .After a sporting auction successful bidders had cherry-picked items from lots they had won and left broken and low value articles behind. l had freedom to pick through the rejected items before they went into a skip.
This line winder was an ltem l rescued and l gave it to Dad as he was a keen fly fisherman . As a user of neither silk or horse-hair it probably wasn't much use to him. My brother discovered it at the back of a cupboard.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Harry H wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:14 pm
Kev D wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:45 am My brother and l have been busy clearing our late Father's house.
Harry H, thank you very much for taking the time to post the information. It is appreciated. That looks like the exact item, even down to the little loop on the handle.
Kev
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have the same model as this which is green painted? but has alloy reel bands Kev D. Mine also has the hanging loop at end of handle and I cannot find a name on it. It is Lovely to have items with a family connection, which mine has not unfortunately Thanks for putting the catalogue page on Harry H as I did not know it was a Farlows product. :Hat:

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Reedling wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:11 am I have the same model as this which is green painted? but has alloy reel bands Kev D. Mine also has the hanging loop at end of handle and I cannot find a name on it. It is Lovely to have items with a family connection, which mine has not unfortunately Thanks for putting the catalogue page on Harry H as I did not know it was a Farlows product. :Hat:
Mine is grey with brass reel bands and brass bars, but like your one ,Reedling, it is un- named. TFF members are so generous with information. :Hat:

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Reedling wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:11 am I have the same model as this which is green painted? but has alloy reel bands Kev D. Mine also has the hanging loop at end of handle and I cannot find a name on it. It is Lovely to have items with a family connection, which mine has not unfortunately Thanks for putting the catalogue page on Harry H as I did not know it was a Farlows product. :Hat:
It was probably made by someone like Reuben Heaton, I've seen the same thing marked for various companies
It seems to be a hand held version of the Wilson- Weatherall line dryer.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”