Wicker basket

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Paul W
Bleak

Wicker basket

Post by Paul W »

I’ve seen this on a well known auction site...... brand new wicker basket £51 delivered......
Has anyone else had one ?
Would be interested to know your thoughts!
Always look forward when walking or you might walk into a wall !

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Wicker basket

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have a few old ones, different sizes etc but I must say that one looks very nicely finished and when you think of what goes into making them, its real bargain.

Wal.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Maybe good - maybe not - I have a few creels as opposed to baskets of varying shape, but all are vintage or antique, they are of exceptional build quality, and really are fabulous. If you go down the route of vintage or older, ask questions about the condition - worm, loss of cane, broken cane, strap condition and if it is large enough for one to sit on - will it hold weight?. These new baskets predominantly come from Asia, China in particular, and the ones I have seen in the flesh are poor in build and the standard of the willow (if it is Willow) is not good at all.
As an example to buy a replacement for my Brady Conway creel and canvas tackle bag will set you back around £700!!!!! I I purchased mine a while ago now secondhand for a very good price indeed. There are copycat Brady’s at around £100 however the difference between the two is as clear as day. I do know of a couple of traditional creel makers and there’s are really superb, but the downside is the outlay - they start at around £250. If you invest wisely in an old Creel or basket you are invariably buying a good quality English product with a history behind it - it will last and last if looked after, and this is not difficult to do - my money is on the older baskets for sure. Unless you have deep pockets of course to buy the modern equivalent.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

I tried to find the basket on **** but have no success.

Things you want to look at:
Tightness of the weave in the basket. This is much like cement in bricks - loose and poor, it will allow the basket to tilt and slope and loss shape
Thickness of the willow staves - not the corner posts. Thin staves - which are often used - will bend and flex, again allowing the baskets sag and tilt - collapsed bottom syndrome. Look for staves at least 1/2 - 3/4" dia -
Corner posts - these should protrude/be level with the weave of the main basket. The weight of the lid and person is thus directly transmitted via these to the ground. Where the corner post is below the basket weave, eventually the weave will bruise and the basket frame will undo.
Tightness of weave around the corner posts. Many of the baskets you see - show the upper corner weaving - with kinks and bumps - these willows were not softened correctly in the basket making process and this point of stress when drying out will fracture eventually.

As pointed out, my father, was considered one of the best basket weavers out - having made postal trays for HM and other heads - his baskets stand out a mile (well to me) - I am allows happy to post or give advice. Just wished I had a few more to pass down to my grand-kids.

Tight lines.

His relatives, well my relatives, still live in Poland and produce various wicker goods - I think mainly by outsourced workers. Don't mind if enough interest, how much a bulk order might be, provided it is made to Dads Standards:
https://olko.pl/en/ofirmie

Paul W
Bleak

Post by Paul W »

Very useful advice from you guys thank you....
There is always more to things than meets the eye and this has proved no exception....
I would love a wicker basket and have been on the lookout when I clocked this one and as said if it’s well made it’s a bargain but might not be ?
I’ll try and find out where they are sourced or made as this might help.
My worry with buying an old one is simply if it’s rotten or not up to the job. I do like to use my kit and it gets plenty of different weather and abuse if that’s the right word.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I do know a certain gentleman of bear like proportions and a tad un-user friendly he has a basket or two - and if his are surviving the rigours of use i’d say do not worry.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Hi Paul, I have a wicker basket, neatly woven and looks lovely , square, tight weave, but when I sit on it it seems to sway backwards and ends up all out of square , and tips me off . You will read all sorts of advice on how to tighten the weave up, by soaking , or varnishing , yes, it works, did it myself , basket looked lovely etc etc, when I sat on it , you guessed, swayed backward and out of shape etc etc. I think either the wicker was “ tired” or it was not designed to carry 14-1/2 stone .
I eventually gave up on it , not practical as it cant be sat on safely.
Years ago I had a friend who had one that was a third bigger than the normal size,but normal height with extra vertical wooden staves that the willow was woven around, and it kept its shape well, I have searched everywhere for one similar but never found one .

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

At 141/2 stone you need steel reinforcements not willow staves
:Hahaha: if you intend to sit on your basket and why wouldn’t you, and stability, keeping shape is a concern look out for a six stave basket I have seen 5 and 8 staves. You will be AOK! after all that was the only seat available to many whether small or large in stature back in the day.
David if you didn’t keep getting bites you’d stay still long enough for the concern to alleviate it’s all that getting up and down I may have a 12 stave knocking around somewhere :Hahaha:

Heraclitus

Paul W
Bleak

Post by Paul W »

Mmmmmm this is interesting......
Yes I would want to be wasting money on gear that wasn’t up to the job.
I have thought of building my own box from plywood ......
My dad built me one when I was a kid and it lasted years!
Im just trying to be as traditional as possible but still want to enjoy my fishing.
I’ve never really been into the chair thing it’s just not me !

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Most people who I have fished with simply use a basket to carry there tackle in and sit on a chair. At my age and weight sitting for long periods on a wicker basket would not be very comfortable!
Mark Davies

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”