Leather stiff collar cases?

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Duckett
Tench

Leather stiff collar cases?

Post by Duckett »

Has anyone else spotted the increasing number of old leather stiff collar cases that come up as centrepin cases? Does anyone have any experience of using them for this?

I think most people don’t even realise what they were originally made for but they aren’t padded and, whenever I’ve handled one in an antique shop, they seem quite fragile and too large - though perhaps they offer more protection than a cloth or leather pokey bag I suspect.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Leather stiff collar cases?

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Phil,
I have found a few slightly smaller versions that fit the Match Aerial nicely but yes the majority are far too big.
The better quality ones are usually very well made and will withstand a bit of handling but like all things in life there are some with poor quality stitching, fastenings etc that would very soon fall apart in a tackle bag.

Wal.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I have used these to keep my pins safe since I can remember - if one considers the cost of a block leather Hardy or Farlows case the collar box is an absolute steal. Two things to look out for leather around buckle and strap eyes - plus all stitching especially at the back of the case where the strap begins.
I try and obtain the cases around 14-16 cm for my 4” pins as a guide. The box shown I purchased for no more than £20.
Wrap your pin in a cloth and you have a very sturdy and safe case.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thanks for the advice Wal and Pallenpool. I shall keep my eyes open for a good one!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”