The canvas gas mask bag

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Re: The canvas gas mask bag

Post by Coral Maestro »

My first tackle carrying bag was a gas mask bag. Unfortunately it bit the dust after being left wet in the garden shed. In those days I didn't have much gear so it was perfect for the job but it was replaced by something a bit more capacious as my tackle collection grew.
Once I started night fishing I was using a bright orange "Campari" framed rucksack which to be honest was uncomfortable to carry any distance.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Coincidentally I have just received my birthday present from my wife......

1970's Roumanian issue but perfect for a days roaming the bank. Smells exactly like an old 37 pattern pack that I used for fishing as a young lad and later as a school / college bag.
Oldest son uses it now for a school bag and says it has 'pulling power'- never did for me though! :roll:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Silfield wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:17 am Coincidentally I have just received my birthday present from my wife......

1970's Roumanian issue but perfect for a days roaming the bank. Smells exactly like an old 37 pattern pack that I used for fishing as a young lad and later as a school / college bag.
Oldest son uses it now for a school bag and says it has 'pulling power'- never did for me though! :roll:
I’ve been using mine for the past couple of years now with no problems, well worth buying a can of “Fabsil” or similar, the rain will just run off after a good coating :Wink: Also I taped the straps(see pic) for silent use when stalking Carp...

Regards,

Dipper :Hat:
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Hello Dipper, good to see that I am not the only one that could see the potential in the bag, certainly seems to be more than capable of doing the job. Thanks for the advise about proofing, I have some fabsil that I use on a canvas tent so will give it a go.
Lovely looking tackle and location by the way :Thumb:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening,I just purchased a small canvas bag from Amazon 9x9x4inches deep with separate sections inside should be just big enough for my small stream tackle,this bag is karky just like the one I had as a junior,Happy days those ,now thinking back.Keep well.Reelmaker

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”