Before zingers?

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Joe Croesor
Minnow

Before zingers?

Post by Joe Croesor »

What was used before them? I ask because now the season has restarted & now been given the opportunity to be the keeper on my local beat and with work clearly not picking up I have a lot of time on my hands and simply put I need to be at home a lot less.

My late dad left me some nice surgeon standard haemostats and small tools that are lovely but not safe due to zingers being rubbish build quality ( caught my Thackeray just before it disappeared due to the “badge”pin breaking

I’ve thought of sitting down to make a nice leather wallet for them but not much cop when you’re in the third arm requirement scenario

Silfield
Brown Trout

Re: Before zingers?

Post by Silfield »

I have a couple of Orvis zingers that have stood the test of time, bought approx 25 years ago and still going strong unlike plenty of cheaper ones which have long since been binned.
When out on the water I keep my keys attached to a big old pike bung so if things should go belly up they will float and be visible.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Zingers - I've found quite a few along the river, they are useless items guaranteed to snag on everything, particularly your fly line.

Artery forceps can be clipped to a shirt or jacket pocket, they are designed to hold their grip.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A good neodymium magnet in your shirt pocket would probably hold scissors etc on the outside.

Wal.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Silfield wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:35 am I have a couple of Orvis zingers that have stood the test of time, bought approx 25 years ago and still going strong unlike plenty of cheaper ones which have long since been binned.
When out on the water I keep my keys attached to a big old pike bung so if things should go belly up they will float and be visible.
These Orvis zingers are great. I also have a couple and I am sure if Nigel would try these he would change his opinion about zingers :Wink:
They saved me from loosing my knife many times...
The cheaper stuff is indeed absolutely useless.
Bobby

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Tool company Rolson make some decent retractors. Coil cords are also useful. Zingers are fried chicken sandwiches sold by that fast food chain aren't they? :Happy: Back in the day a lanyard of string, old fly line etc would have been pressed into action. I've got my grandfather's scissor pliers still on a piece of original Aircel fly line but they're a bit of a fiddle for my sausage fingers

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”