Hardy Bros shooting stick

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Hardy Bros shooting stick

Post by Coral Maestro »

Not really an item of fishing tackle but I'm sure this would have been used by a ghillie or a country gent during a pause in his day's salmon fishing.
Any ideas how old this would be?
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Re: Hardy Bros shooting stick

Post by Stour Otter »

Hello Coral Maestro.

There is a Walking Stick Seat in Hardy's 1957 and 1958 catalogue, although I would have thought they may have starting making them in the 1930s, if not before. The one shown in the picture is from their 1957 catalogue. Not too disimilar to yours which I think is c1927.

Regards
Stour Otter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Thanks for the info!
I'll have to try and track down some Hardy's catalogues (at the right price!).
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

No.1 looks like a close match. Shame I don't know which catalogue this image came from!
- Jack Hargreaves.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Looking at The best of Hardy's Anglers Guides by Jamie Maxtone Graham printed in 1982, yours is differently 1927. The description says: " Polished wood stick, aluminium head with leather-covered hand grasp. The hand may be passed through the seat head so as to hand on the arm. The disc at the bottom is permanently fixed. Price: 25/-.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Thanks again for the information. It would seem that bums have been sitting on it for nearly 100 years!
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”