Hoxton Brothers "Black Box/Throne" Help!!!

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: Hoxton Brothers "Black Box/Throne" Help!!!

Post by StefanDuma »

Well this is your lucky day, two people who have done extensive research on The Hoxton Brothers, Michael Nadell author of Poles Apart, AKA Molefisher and my self, author of Men of Trent.
The thing we have in common is the Trent vs Lea fishing match between William Bailey and Joe Woodard, we both covered the match in detail.
Consequently we have "tons" of research material.
Jevans was a very common name for that area of London, Bethnal Green, Shoreditch. They were based at a number of Public Houses over the years. The Cherry Tree on Kingsland Road, The Flower Pot on Bethnal Green road and amongst others Tom Hughes of the Robert Napier pub who instigated the challenge that led to the match.
Your fishing box was I believe presented by Mr Burgis as a prize in September 1877 and won by J Jevans as listed in the club report for that year.
The Hoxton Brothers were one of the premier angling clubs in the country featuring regularly reports in the Fishing Gazette, The Sportsman and other publications of the day.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

KenSowerbutts wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:44 pm Hi can't find any info on Mr J Jevans but the Hoxton Brothers A S were from the Jane Shore pub Shorditch High Sreet they were very prominent around the second half of the 1800 s . One of their members was T.H.Sowerbutts , in 1874 Tom Hughs and Richard Ghurney of the society promoted a competition called the Great Roach Angling Sweepstake at the Crown Fishery on the Lea at Broxbourne Bridge with the first prize being £10 , sixty five anglers paid 10 shillings each to enter there was eight cash prizes and the ninth was a fishing hat . Your post has given me a mission to find out more about this subject .
Isn't it wonderful that these old records have been preserved enabling us to immerse ourselves in the atmosphere of yesteryear and the lives of our forebears. But crikey ten shillings to enter a match in 1874! I can remember struggling to scrape that amount together for a sweepstake in 1970!

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

One thing that Michael and myself would really like to see is a photograph of Joe Woodard if anyone has one or knows where one might be.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Been on the Ancestory site. J.J. Jevans would have been fifteen when the box was won. Married Margaret Sullivan 3.10. 1886. 1891 census listed as a clockmaker (as on marriage cert) Living with his parents and his (Josephs and Margaret).. son and daughter. Address : 25 Peel Grove.DEATH ..Oct/Dec 1/4 1916......Shoreditch no probate listed. Forwarded for info ...Tony

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Wow great history, thanks for sharing Stefan :Hat:

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Thank you all for the fascinating info. It completes a wonderful narrative that I can now attach to my "black box".
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Fredline wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:53 pm Thank you all for the fascinating info. It completes a wonderful narrative that I can now attach to my "black box".
It has now doubled in value too John :Hat:

Not that is important, i'd like to own it :Thumb:

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Superb research there. Also wouldn't it be fascinating to her of the fishing tales the box could tell us!

Having seen the author of the absolutely brilliant book Poles apart is on the thread I must thank him, Mr Molefisher for writing one of my favourite books ever. I lived in Hackney until last summer and fished the Regents / Lea and Duckets using the 5 m short pole in recent years. In my own way i relived the old days . Albeit using a £20 take apart 5 M pole ...sorry!!

I was and am still captivated by the London Roach Pole fishermen so the Hoxton brothers Black Box is a brilliant thread

Thanks

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

This is a truly wonderful thread ... and is what the TFF is about ... not monetary value ... but history !!! I will keep following avidly. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

StefanDuma wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:56 pm One thing that Michael and myself would really like to see is a photograph of Joe Woodard if anyone has one or knows where one might be.
Hi Tony I don't think its the same person as the J Jervans who won the box also donated a prize of half a guinea.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”