Seat Basket / Box ?

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Seat Basket / Box ?

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I remember watching them getting made at the Workshops For The Blind which was just around the corner from where we lived at the time. One of the chaps made me a boys version for my birthday. I still managed to cram every fishing item I owned into it :Hahaha:

A few years ago someone put a picture on the internet of a barn which was almost full of these baskets that had been made by various workshops for the disabled. Apparently they just couldn't sell them anymore after the Shakespeare type seat box was introduced. I wonder what happened to them.

Wal.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

The French pêcheurs have also abandoned their pyramidal wooden seat boxes in favour of those modulated aluminium things with all sorts of attachments that look like a satellite. I picked up a really nice example of the traditional wooden box at a vide-grenier, literally 'empty attic' or car boot sale to you. This one has two hinged trays above the main hold and a black cushion on top.

My old wicker basket fell apart some years ago. It had been somewhat modified by it being towed behind my BSA C15 for a few miles on route to Scout Dyke Reservoir and also had a seat cushion with rabbit skin on one side and a hare skin on the other. I carried that some miles from home to Worsbrough Res', 3 miles each way, sometimes twice.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

But from memory, Mark, still a nice basket

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good morning friends,I've seen a nice one in a odds and end shop in Bury st Edmunds ,but the lady would sell it as she wanted to keep it for display I was tempted to offer her £40 and see her reaction, I looked a week ago and its still there,now my daughter is going in to try to get her to sell as its my 75 th birthday next Saturday. Reelmaker.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I had a box made for me by my angling mentor many years ago... I sold it on when I got into carp fishing in the mid 70's and regretted it ever since... I have a wicker creel in the loft but I don't use it any more, preferring to travel light (a shot back doesn't help my cause either) a lightweight chair get the nod nowadays
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Cleaned and treated with the usual Linseed Oil mix.ImageImage
Mark Davies

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:07 pm The French pêcheurs have also abandoned their pyramidal wooden seat boxes in favour of those modulated aluminium things with all sorts of attachments that look like a satellite. I picked up a really nice example of the traditional wooden box at a vide-grenier, literally 'empty attic' or car boot sale to you. This one has two hinged trays above the main hold and a black cushion on top.

My old wicker basket fell apart some years ago. It had been somewhat modified by it being towed behind my BSA C15 for a few miles on route to Scout Dyke Reservoir and also had a seat cushion with rabbit skin on one side and a hare skin on the other. I carried that some miles from home to Worsbrough Res', 3 miles each way, sometimes twice.
I was also lucky enough to find one at a vide grenier, this time with a red patterned seat cushion that makes it look like it was made in the "60's. I had to put a new strap on it but otherwise it's in good nick:

What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

That looks lovely. Those continental seat boxes are really well made and well thought out.

Wal.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Agreed. He could drop the laundry off on his way to the river :Hahaha:

It is certainly a novelty. I have only seen the solid wood or aluminium ones. I have been doing mine up and have just got back from the basement after varnishing the second compartment. I have finished the top one and rearranged the dividers to suit my needs and will do the same to the second tier. I'll probably have some floats and a separate section for pole winders. The only problem with them is that you have to get up every time that you need to change the shotting or put another hook length on.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Jon Math wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:46 pm Are the wicker type seat boxes still made? They are rare here in the US, and all I find are beaten up, broken down, frequently dry rotted things mostly sold for use as decorative home furnishings.
I'm sure you could find some artisan who makes pieces such as log baskets etc to build you one to the size you want. A few moments on Goggle turned up the following international list…

http://basketmakers.com/topics/basketma ... rsmenu.htm
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”