Anglers Corner Roach.

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Anglers Corner Roach.

Post by Duckett »

Lea Dweller wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:11 pm
Duckett wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:10 pm Thanks John. Nice relaxing pre-bed viewing! Though, that wasn’t the Stret Pegging I was taught in the 1970s!

Phil
I agree with you regarding stret-pegging, I was taught to put the rod in a rest after casting and positioning the float downstream. Then lifting and letting the float run down a little then settle again? What B.V is doing seems to be doing is simply holding back fairly often. I respect that Moley prefers his own method, he has great success with it pies or no pies! :Hahaha:
Yes, that’s how I was taught but, for a decent pork pie, Moley could convert me for life! :Chuckle: :Chuckle:

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Re: Anglers Corner Roach.

Post by Duckett »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:29 pm You must realise that BV was not a great angler and he is demonstrating methods he may not use very often. I was discussing BV with a very ancient yet distinguished angler just the other day and he debunks much of the Crabtree book as a man demonstrating methods he knows little about. Indeed, he advocated spinning the centre pin with your thumb, something virtually impossible to achieve. When questioned about that method by none other than Chris Yates, he revealed that 'he recalled seeing a man do it once' and had never tried it.

I don't want to slur the great man's reputation but, as the voice of angling, he could only know and do so much. However, his method of getting information across in simple cartoon form was undoubtedly very successful and touched all of us in some way.
As my Dad once told me, “Never put your heroes on too high a pedestal as they soon fall off.Respect them for what they are and no more.” You are spot in about his gift to communicate, it was immense and deserving of huge praise. However, if I want to watch an angler of his generation actually fishing and to learn something, it’ll always be Jack Hargreaves that I turn to.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Fishing Films”