Roach Reflections

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Roach Reflections

Post by Liphook »

Very interesting! I'm hoping you've seen my previous posts on this matter Mark and would ask what range of depths are you fishing with the larger floats you're discussing above?

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Liphook wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:48 pm Very interesting! I'm hoping you've seen my previous posts on this matter Mark and would ask what range of depths are you fishing with the larger floats you're discussing above?
On the Stour between 8 and 12ft of water. The Frome varied - same swim - between 5ft and 10ft due to the tide.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Thank you :Hat:

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you very much Mark - lots to think about and apply!!
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Thanks very much Mark, keeps us going through lockdown
:Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: Fishing Youtube videos

Post by Tonytoned »

DaceAce wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:02 am Part 3 in Roach Reflections - Location:
Out of curiosity and interest Mark, during your years on the circuit which make of rods were most popular and used prior to carbon. Did you see many Matchmaker's or CTM's for example. I know you used a Mk6 in one of your videos. I would imagine the ABU's would have been quite popular then.

Many thanks Tony :Hat:

DaceAce
Eel

Re: Fishing Youtube videos

Post by DaceAce »

Tonytoned wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:40 am
DaceAce wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:02 am Part 3 in Roach Reflections - Location:
Out of curiosity and interest Mark, during your years on the circuit which make of rods were most popular and used prior to carbon. Did you see many Matchmaker's or CTM's for example. I know you used a Mk6 in one of your videos. I would imagine the ABU's would have been quite popular then.

Many thanks Tony :Hat:
Quite an assortment but locally ABU Mk 5s and 6s, and B&W CTM rods. The only glass B&W I had was a XLS 12ft which was an exceptional waggler rod; I regret selling it! The rod I wish I'd had when I was 14 was the Edgar Sealey Contestant 12ft that I acquired about 3 years ago, a lovely light rod. The rod I actually bought then was an Edgar Sealey Black Arrow 11ft which got shorter as the years went by, losing about 6" from both tip and handle. I do remember seeing the off Sealey Blue Match rods. No recollection of Hardy match rods, not in glass anyway, maybe no Hardy dealers?

I remember one angler had an EARC rod that went soft, another was still using a Taperflash. The two Wareham tackle shops also stocked variously Auger match rods and Ivan Marks Persuader rods but I don't recall the IM 13ft float rod in action though I did buy the 10ft swingtip rod which I've still got.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

As it's nearly the end of the season I've made a short video looking both back and forward at what I've done and want to do:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I've really enjoyed your videos Mark. It's been very interesting to see and hear you in action. It's very generous of you to share your knowledge and experience. I certainly think I'll need to spend a bit more time angling for roach in the lower Ribble in coming seasons! Keep up the good work :Hat:

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Here's the latest 'Quest for a Big Stour Roach' which is Part 6. I had a surprising bonus fish on one of the evenings:

Return to “Fishing Films”