A Reel Antique

The Nottingham Reels forum.
StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: A Reel Antique

Post by StefanDuma »

Hi Paul I know you have my book and if you look on page 22 it shows examples of reels with chamfered edges.

Its not a "boys reel" they tended to be smaller, single handle one piece wood construction and a simpler foot and strap arrangement made from one piece of flimsy steel or brass bent to form a foot. The earliest example I have seen of a boys reel is the Allcocks circa 1890.

Stef

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I love the bone handles. I've wondered from time to time why bone isn't more common and appears to have died out. It's a material that has always been readily available, inexpensive and that working folk were used to using. It also last centuries, as witnessed by a visit to any Museum with a Neolithic or prisoner of war folk art collection.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

StefanDuma wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:17 am Well there we go two reels and in my opinion part of a production run of some sort.

Is the drum plate chamfered on both models?

Stef
Mine is chamfered :Thumb:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Paul F wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:19 pm
StefanDuma wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:17 am Well there we go two reels and in my opinion part of a production run of some sort.

Stef
Hi Paul, Mr Clueless here! :Chuckle: Can you tell me what chamfered means and is my reel chamfered, as I cannot see a difference between your reel and mine?

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Lea Dweller wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:35 pm
Paul F wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Stef
Hi Paul, Mr Clueless here! :Chuckle: Can you tell me what chamfered means and is my reel chamfered, as I cannot see a difference between your reel and mine?
Ted, You need to take the spool off, the back plate of the spool the outside edge will either be square cut, or have a taper to it (chamfered)
I hope that helps :Thumb:

Return to “Nottingham Reels”