Maintenance

The Nottingham Reels forum.
Rod
Grayling

Maintenance

Post by Rod »

I have just bought my first wooden reel, and was surprised to find, when cleaned and oiled, it spins better that some of my more modern reels, the ratchet is a bit chunky, but works perfectly. Now the question is, the wood looks a bit dried out, I don't want to start stripping it, and varnishing, I don't even want to polish the brass, I would just like to give it a coat of something to protect the wood, I first thought of Linseed oil, but then I thought it might taint the line, so now I'm stumped, can anyone offer some suggestion. :Beg:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Re: Maintenance

Post by Match Aerial »

Is there any finish on the reel at the moment ?

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

MA, at the moment it looks like natural patina, it must have had some sort of coating at some time. See photo's below.

Some one suggested using WD40 and rubbing off well, as it would water proof it?
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Perhaps olive oil would work (like some people do with chopping boards) and might not be so harsh as WD40?
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

What about wax? I am thinking of those "hard" formulae as Fjällräven. Rub it in, soak with a hairdryer. Should work suppose.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

Hi,
There are some interesting Youtube videos about finishing gunstocks with oils of various types that give a durable waterproof finish. I especially liked the ones from Purdy's the gun makers and the finish is superb - check out a few.
Dok

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

It looks polished - I'd consider a beeswax polish, but NOT a silicon one, you'll have the devil's own job removing that should you wish to varnish or oil it at a later date. Lord Sheraton "Caretaker" is a non-silicone beeswax + oils polish.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I'm with Vole, a good quality beeswax polish is the way to go. Waitrose do an own brand wax that is lovely.... and reasonably priced :Hat:

Pickerel

Post by Pickerel »

Sorry for the late response, I have only just joined the forum. The problem with oiling wood is that it will darken it and not necessarily in an attractive way. If some of the original coating remains, the oil will only penetrate where it has been scratched/worn away resulting in some ugly scarring. A wax coating will give some protection which, after an initial darkening, solvents will evaporate and just leave the wax. Unfortunately beeswax is by it's very nature is sticky so it will attract dust and dirt which is how antique furniture acquires some of the patination. Conservators advise the use of a micro crystalline wax for both wood and metal. It is easily removed with white spirit and can be bought as 'Renaissance Wax'. Being white it will leave a residue in any detailing but hey ho none of us is perfect.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Nearly every wooden reel I have handled has a coat of varnish. Maybe the old varnish used was a more natural product a kind of Shellac maybe.

Return to “Nottingham Reels”