Catching a Salmon!

This forum is for discussing salmon.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Catching a Salmon!

Post by Santiago »

Cheers for the extra information. I'll be fly only in fresh water but may switch to spinning gear from the beach! For the school bass and sea trout.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I am yet to enjoy the pleasures of north western Scotland - Northumberland is the farthest I have been.
I was just relating to how varied Salmon fishing can be - let alone the varieties north of the border!

I have also fished the Welsh rivers some 50 years ago, a sea trout or salmon being the target.

Caught from the Test and Itchen whilst grayling fishing in winter, trotted salmon on maggots. Mind you they do fight well on light gear!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Just reading in The New ABC of Fishing about greased line salmon fishing and a good way to get a securer hook hold is to be patient on the strike, and wait until one sees the fish take line. I hope to be able to try and put this advice into practice. Essentially, I'll be fishing for trout, but who know what fortune might bring!

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers Olly!

Hemingway

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

If swinging flies downstream and across in the traditional way most definitely do not strike! Either fish directly off the reel and let the fish take a few feet of line off a lighter set drag or hold a loop of line under your rod hand trigger finger and let the salmon turn away from you drawing out the loop. Once and only once the above has happened lift the rod firmly and keep it there whilst the hook sets properly. There can often be a slight delay before the fish realises it's hooked and then the fireworks begin

Return to “Salmon (Salmo salar)”