Banker's throne

An area to discuss your cane fishing poles.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Banker's throne

Post by Coral Maestro »

Hi,
Does anyone on the forum possess a Banker's throne as used by the London cane pole angling fraternity? Or failing that, maybe have some photos of one?
I've seen the picture in Michael Nadell's Poles Apart and also found another picture on the net of an item that was auctioned but otherwise have struggled to find out much about them.
I'm hoping to make one so it would be good to have some pointers as to how they were constructed.
Cheers!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Banker's throne

Post by Duckett »

Coral Maestro wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:37 pm Hi,
Does anyone on the forum possess a Banker's throne as used by the London cane pole angling fraternity? Or failing that, maybe have some photos of one?
I've seen the picture in Michael Nadell's Poles Apart and also found another picture on the net of an item that was auctioned but otherwise have struggled to find out much about them.
I'm hoping to make one so it would be good to have some pointers as to how they were constructed.
Cheers!
I don’t but I thought I’d seen one on a dealers site and, for once, my memory was reliable. It’s next to bottom of this very long page.
http://www.antiquevintagefishingtackle.co.uk/id36.html

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Cheers!
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=26096&p=349610&hil ... ox#p349610
I still have this "throne".
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

Fredline wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:41 pm
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=26096&p=349610&hil ... ox#p349610
I still have this "throne".
I have the poles, I'd love to buy a bankers throne if anyone knows of any.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Been a dream of mine for years.. best to date is an old fishing box in the same style and shape but frankly very much a compromise.
I wonder what happened to them all? One for a pattern might be helpful...
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I heard that Fred had converted his to a commode - he's not as young as used to be :Wink:

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Cheers!
That will be a interesting project.
on the same site there was this box?

All the best.
Nige.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

https://www.penturners.org/threads/long ... ox.109420/

This may help regarding some kind of construction?

Cheers
Nige.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

TrentFisher wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:19 pm https://www.penturners.org/threads/long ... ox.109420/

This may help regarding some kind of construction?

Cheers
Nige.
Thanks for that - they look great! I think they may be beyond my abilities though!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I've eventually got round to making a "Banker's Throne" using wood from an old french wardrobe. The seat is made from an old outboard motor cover and demonstrates how tricky upholstery is! The main problem with it is that it weighs a substantial amount so you don't want to carry it too far. The upside is that it's strong enough to support my substantial weight!
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Cane Fishing Poles”