A. Carter pole & rod - South Molton Street London

An area to discuss your cane fishing poles.
Gobio Gobio
Grayling

A. Carter pole & rod - South Molton Street London

Post by Gobio Gobio »

Does anyone have any knowledge of A.Carter poles from 11 South Molton Street, Bond Street, London?

I looked in Michael Nadell's Poles Apart but there is no mention other than an A Carter and Peake.

# Edit - Thanks Tony. Yes there is a mention but I dont know whether this pole is listed.

#Edit 2 - I also acquired this rod, its a swiss army knife of a rod as you can see. No makers name on it, nothing on this bag. Does anyone know the maker, could it be an A. Carter rod?.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Thanks
Last edited by Gobio Gobio on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Re: A Carter pole

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi GG, Wild card from me.:- Alfred CARTER & Co. 11 South Moulton Street ,London.c 1875 ... 1939. Bond St , W4...... Carter and Peek 137 St Johns Street Road..... Factory 123 Myddelton Place, london EC. All from my VERY rough notes..Others my be more enlightened Regards Tony

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

Thanks Tony, thats the only information I have about A.Carter too.
I found the pole for sale and just back after a 200 mile round trip to collect it. No markings, nothing at all. It came in a taty but intact custom cotton bag with the A.Carter address etc on it. I will post some pics after I have a tea!.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi GG , Check out "Poles Apart" page 57 I think the answers there Tony

MoleFisher
Stickleback

Re: A. Carter pole & rod - South Molton Street London

Post by MoleFisher »

A bag with a makers name and a pole with no name.There is no guarantee you have a Carter pole.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

The Pole looks to be of reasonable quality so could be as the bag proclaims, and will be worth time spent bringing it up to a nice standard. Personally I would leave the whippings as they are but just gently varnish them, as I would the entire pole; trying to keep as much originality as possible.

The Tips look like they need some attention. Are they Lancewood or Greenheart? Also I would consider making a split cane top as well if you intend to use the pole....can usually use an old fly rod top as these are nice and bendy but relatively strong.

Nice find Gobio Gobio.

As to the rod it looks like one of those combination rods popular at the time, from the 1930's. Alcock's, Sealey or what could be a variety of midland rod makers are probably the best source to look at for inspiration. But to be honest it could be anyone without some further clue......goodluck on that one!

Sorry I am not of greater help.

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

The book "Poles Apart" does the company justice as a retailer of their named poles see pages 57/58. I feel that the purchaser who had sought a London pole would wish to have the makers details upon the rod. No illustration of Carters' butt caps is shown , others are.Does any one have one known on a pole? The catalog gives each pole a model name would this not be written on the rod in ink! The spacing of the whippings as decoration may give a clue, comparing the illustrations in Carters advert.The pole is a lovely acquisition but its to easy to jump to conclusions.Good luck in your quest . :Hat: Tony

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

For me, the association with the pole and bag are obvious. I have enough provenance from the grandson of the one chap who owned the pole and rod to know its an A Carter pole. Good idea to leave the whippings intact as they are in reasonable condition, and a lick of varnish would breath new life into the pole. Yes the whippings are loose but original, the ferrules need reset and cleaned up. The tips are also original which are very nice so dont intend using split cane tips. I dont like overdoing a vintage item, I will try to keep as much patina and character to the pole as I can. I have a few poles which need some TLC but I will get round to this as soon as possible.

Return to “Cane Fishing Poles”