Allcocks 18 foot pole. The Windsor.

An area to discuss your cane fishing poles.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Allcocks 18 foot pole. The Windsor.

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have just started restoring an 18 foot roach pole made by Allcocks and wondered if anyone else has one.
I found the details about it in the 1938-39 catalogue and it is called the Windsor.

I would like to know if the pole had the name written on it or was there a label maybe. Mine has no writing or shadows from a label, just the Allcocks stamp on the butt cap.
ImageImage

I have stripped the varnish off and cleaned the ferrules up. It looks to be really lovely cane underneath all the old stained varnish.
ImageImage
The whipping will be replaced with something close to the original green and in the same pattern. The ferrules are all very good and have come up lovely with a bit of a clean and have now been re bronzed.

The original tip was a Greenheart splice and has been broken and repaired so I have taken the spliced tip out and put a split cane one in to make the pole fully usable once completed.

Wal.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Allcocks 18 foot pole. The Windsor.

Post by Harry H »

Looking good Wal don't envy you that one :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Harry H wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:13 pm Looking good Wal don't envy you that one :Thumb:
Thanks Richard, it should be a good bit quicker to whip than the last Sowerbutts pole.

Wal.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:32 pm
Harry H wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:13 pm Looking good Wal don't envy you that one :Thumb:
Thanks Richard, it should be a good bit quicker to whip than the last Sowerbutts pole.

Wal.
what colour green are you using?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

That’s looking good Wal. I’ve never been tempted by a cane pole yet (I never did take to pole fishing) but I do love the apparent simplicity that belies the very real skill that went into making them. What is the tip made out of?

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Thats going to look fantastic when it's finished Wal...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Richard, just a dark green I think, maybe fuji 004.

Phil, the original tip is greenheart in whole cane. I will put built cane in to make it a bit more carp proof.

Aitch, thanks mate, it should be as good to use as any other cane pole but they don't seem to have much of a following, considering they are Allcocks. Maybe there is a bit of the old "if it aint built in London it aint a proper pole".

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

That's lovely Wal, that cane does look very good indeed. Looking forward to seeing it finished :Hat:

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

"If it ain't built in London it ain't a proper pole" must be why they called it the Windsor
Perhaps that was even then back in the day a bit posh for a for a roach fisher or maybe just not enough whippings
(looks about 200 short :holmes: ) for those south of Watford :Chuckle:
Anthony Shepherdson

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

It is going to look great Wal, well done! :Hat:

Return to “Cane Fishing Poles”