Allcocks 18 foot pole. The Windsor.

An area to discuss your cane fishing poles.
TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Re: Allcocks 18 foot pole. The Windsor.

Post by TemeLAD »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:15 am I forgot to ask if anyone had one of the phosphor bronze revolving tip rings that is mentioned in the Allcocks description or even a picture of one.

As for the name Windsor, I will just write it on the cane. It cant be anything else as they only made this pole, as far as I can tell.
You have a pm Wal

:Hat: Les
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Thanks Les for your very kind gesture.

Best wishes.
Wal.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Is it finished yet? :whistle:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:12 am Is it finished yet? :whistle:
Yes finally Jeremy. My wrist is still aching from turning the thicker sections. :Hahaha:

I started with a dark green but it just looked wrong compared to the original which was much lighter so I opted for FishHawk 6779 mid green.
It's had four good coats of varnish and I think that's probably all it will get. Enough varnish to seal out the damp and a smooth enough finish to handle regular use.

The pole came with the largest of the ferrule plugs but looking at the picture in the catalogue I noticed there should be three in total to prevent the sections dropping out when stowed away so I made the other two ferrule plugs from vintage wooden rod buttons. I knew they would come in handy one day. :Thumb:

The original Greenheart tip had a couple of rings attached so I put an anchor ring and a couple of drop rings on the new cane tip. I will use a length of line fastened to the anchor ring and run through the other three rings to attach the main line too. This should give the tip a more of a progressive curve in use.
I could also use a short length of elastic in the same way.

I read the description about the revolving bronze tip ring and just couldn't get a picture in my head of what it would look like. Then thanks to Les who sent me a picture of one and a very kind offer to send me it. I then realised I actually had a couple of them in my vintage bits box so that was another missing bit solved. The phosphor bronze centre rotates freely inside the wire frame, simple really but I just couldn't see it in my mind.

I have left the name Windsor off the pole for now until I find a picture of another one and see how and where it was written or if it was a label. I would be grateful if anyone can shed any light on this. These poles do seem to be very rare, I cannot find anything on the internet about them.

Thanks for looking.
Wal.
ImageImageImageImage

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Looks stunning Wal, as always... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Superb work there Wal 👍

Another one to be proud of :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I've got 3 poles that need doing so I'm sending them to you to re whip and varnish.
I'd like all of them close whipped please at
1/2 inch intervals in "A" grade silk.
I'd like them back by the end of the month please.
I'd do them myself but I'm putting so much moisturizer on my hands because of all the washing I'm struggling to hold anything.
Oh, I forgot to mention I'd like 8 coats of varnish on mine please.
As you clearly need practice at this sort of thing I'm assuming you will do them for free, I will of course pay you for the whipping thread and I'll send you a tin of varnish I bought ten years ago. Im sure it's still in a liquid state and if there are bits in it you can sand it down between coats.
Thanks Wal!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

:Hat: Wal - Have you asked/spoken to Michael Nadell?

Done a great job resurrecting the "Windsor". For use just outside the Castle on the Thames?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Jeremy, yes of course I would be delighted to do your three poles and will actually pay you whatever you feel is a fair amount for allowing me to gain the practice.

Thanks Olly, I haven't talked to Michael about the pole but there is a short mention in his book about the Windsor pole but it doesn't appear to have been very well thought off.

I am sure another one or two will turn up before too long. Maybe a couple are in regular use and are unidentified.

Thanks to all for the very kind comments and I am looking forward having a fish with it once I get the chance.
Wal.

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Wal I have found poles to be well balanced, I reckon you will enjoy the experience. I was 12 years old when I first fished with my grandfathers pole built around 1920 for his father, that day I won a junior match while my granddad looked on. At the end of the match he told me the pole was mine. When I mentioned "Didn't go to my dad" he said "Your father isn't capable of using it" I had to agree.

Return to “Cane Fishing Poles”