Allcocks 18 foot pole. The Windsor.

An area to discuss your cane fishing poles.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Allcocks 18 foot pole. The Windsor.

Post by Liphook »

Another lovely job Wal. I like the green you've chosen :Sun:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Martin James wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:41 pm Wal I have found poles to be well balanced, I reckon you will enjoy the experience. I was 12 years old when I first fished with my grandfathers pole built around 1920 for his father, that day I won a junior match while my granddad looked on. At the end of the match he told me the pole was mine. When I mentioned "Didn't go to my dad" he said "Your father isn't capable of using it" I had to agree.
Thanks Martin, I am looking forward to giving the old pole an outing.
Your Granddad must have been so proud of you that day Martin, I bet you can still see his smile.

My father would have used the pole for propping something up in the garden. He did a bit of sea fishing and often took us to the pier but like you, I too was lucky to have an uncle who took me and my brother river fishing. He was a very patient man who could mend anything and often improved them along the way. Sadly he died of cancer at a very young age but I know if he had still been around he would have loved this forum and this way of life.

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Liphook wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:57 pm Another lovely job Wal. I like the green you've chosen :Sun:
Thanks Alistair, I wasn't too sure at first but it's growing on me. It does actually look a bit brighter in the photos than it really is.

Wal.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Nice job Wal, it looks a treat :Thumb:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Crucian wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:24 pm Nice job Wal, it looks a treat :Thumb:
Thanks Paul.

Best wishes.
Wal.

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Wal he was my roll model through life especially during the war years, he taught me to shoot fish and look after myself and how to deal with bullies, until he passed away, I always give thanks I was with him until the end, I was then 19 years old. But I reckon part of him lives on in me.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

That looks fantastic Wal.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:18 pm Jeremy, yes of course I would be delighted to do your three poles and will actually pay you whatever you feel is a fair amount for allowing me to gain the practice.

Thanks Olly, I haven't talked to Michael about the pole but there is a short mention in his book about the Windsor pole but it doesn't appear to have been very well thought off.

I am sure another one or two will turn up before too long. Maybe a couple are in regular use and are unidentified.

Thanks to all for the very kind comments and I am looking forward having a fish with it once I get the chance.
Wal.
Joking apart, It does look pretty spectacular Wal. I love the green whipping thread, it seems a perfect colour for that pole. The cane looks real top quality judging by the photos and varnished to your usual exemplary standards. It's a keeper I reckon! :Wink:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Lovely job Wal :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Fantastic restoration. Have you ever used it and if so tell us the tale please

Return to “Cane Fishing Poles”