Transparent whippings

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
EricW
Ruffe

Transparent whippings

Post by EricW »

I am sure somebody on here can advise me with my latest query, so here goes. I want to reinforce a repair using transparent whippings. I've never tried this before and have been doing some tests using water-based varnish directly (no cr) onto pipers 90/2 white silk with little success. I did finally get it to become semi transparent using looser wraps and heavily thinned varnish. I can't honestly say that it became invisible but the colour of the cane was showing through. It was clearly soaked through as I could see the colour change and getting the air out required a lot of thread manipulation using a burnisher and flooding the threads with varnish. Once it dried however, all the colour had returned and the thread was as white as it ever was.
My question is, are solvent-based rather than water-based varnishes best for this and what would you suggest? What is the most effective product you have found for this purpose? Any other technique advice would be gratefully received. Thank you in anticipation.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Wallys-Cast
Ferox

Re: Transparent whippings

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes Eric, I think you will need to use enamel or oil based varnish to get the required result.

Wal.

ReelMaker
Chub

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening,I’m glad to see you back,I was concerned that you have not put any posts up lately,I hope you are well.Terence

Tengisgol
Zander

Post by Tengisgol »

Yes, a drop of yacht varnish (I like International Original) and poof, like magic, it disappears before your eyes.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Horgaszember
Stickleback

Post by Horgaszember »

Any solvent based varnish (like yacht varnishes) should give you a transparent whipping as long as the silk thread is natural / white and is not too thick. I have tried Yli 100wt silk #212 so far and that gives a totally transparent whipping with any yacht varnish or epoxy coating (like FlexCoat lite)...

EricW
Ruffe

Post by EricW »

Thanks for that advice everybody. I shall try both enamels and yacht varnish on some of my basket cases very soon.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”