A Richard Walker net

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Watermole+
Chub

A Richard Walker net

Post by Watermole+ »

There are some of the old photographs of Richard Walker nets showing one having inwardly curved arms and here is my first attempt at making one.
I actually made this a couple of years ago but because it was no longer wanted, never got around to completing it until very recently.

This particular net has 35" laminated split bamboo arms set at 60 degrees, which are made much lighter than normal because of the increased support offered by the spigot hinge block. The aluminium block has also been made thinner and lighter and the 'spreader' block made from a piece of ancient hardwood, recovered from the wreck of the 'Metta Catharina'. I have just enough of this wood to make one more block, which will be used to make an even finer RSW net with 30" arms, as the original 1949 specification.

The handle is 5' 6" long Tonkin cane with a flared, hickory end (Sorry about the mud on it!) and the net knotless.

Regards, :Hat:

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: A Richard Walker net

Post by Wallys-Cast »

That is lovely Leszeck.
I have always said the Walker nets were built too heavily. Yours looks much better proportioned and the curved limbs give it a finer quality look.

Wal.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

To your usual very high standards Leszek - I trust you will introduce the net to a 20lb Common or Mirror Carp - I think RW would like that.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Another wonderful creation Leszek, you never cease to amaze. :Thumb:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

The devil is in the detail and that Sir is devilishly good :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I love the engine turning, a nice addition
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Barbellina
Roach

Post by Barbellina »

Hi Leszek, :rock:
the net is absolutely gorgeous. Where did you manage to source the net mesh from? It looks exactly what I am after as a replacement for my Paul Cook “Walker” net
"Angling is a refuge from competitiveness, from rat-racing, from status-seeking. So let it remain."
Bernard Venables

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Absolutely stunning!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Barbellina wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:02 pm Hi Leszek, :rock:
the net is absolutely gorgeous. Where did you manage to source the net mesh from? It looks exactly what I am after as a replacement for my Paul Cook “Walker” net
I'm not sure if Leszek uses this but have a search for Snowbee knotless on tinterweb. I've used it on a couple of my nets. it comes in different sizes
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Windjammer

Post by Windjammer »

Hats off for another fine creation. :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”