Vintage landing net frame new net replacement

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Fredline
Tench

Vintage landing net frame new net replacement

Post by Fredline »

I have just replaced the net in Lea Dwellers very old (it is younger than Ted) Farlows' 15" landing net frame. The frame has a groove set around the edge of the frame to allow the net and fixing to be recessed through pre drilled holes. This process is so simple that it very easily could be used for any wooden framed net even without a groove around the edge.
1. Drill a 3mm hole through the frame at the set intervals for the net loops.
2. Pull the net loops through the pre drilled holes with a baiting needle.
3. Thread waxed string through the loops around the frame.Leave a little for tying off.
4. Pull the loops tightly against the frame or groove.
I stained the waxed string with a dark oak wood stain and finished the frame and string with a couple of coats of silk varnish to tighten it all up. I had previously varnished the inside of the frame because the varnish may have made the net loops a little brittle.
A simple solution courtesy of Mr Farlow.
ImageImageImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Old Man River
Eel

Re: Vintage landing net frame new net replacement

Post by Old Man River »

Very niceley done Fredline , as a pertinent question, how did you manage to source a net with exactly the right number of "net top loops" to fit the frame without having too few or too many ?

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Old Man River wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:02 am Very niceley done Fredline , as a pertinent question, how did you manage to source a net with exactly the right number of "net top loops" to fit the frame without having too few or too many ?

OMR
I sourced the net through Snowbee, I had a great conversation with someone on the phone, told him the measurements of the frame and he suggested the net that John has very quickly fitted. Snowbee are well worth a call!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done and thankyou John, what took you so long? I gave you the replacement net yesterday morning! :Chuckle: :Hat:

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Old Man River wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:02 am Very niceley done Fredline , as a pertinent question, how did you manage to source a net with exactly the right number of "net top loops" to fit the frame without having too few or too many ?

OMR
The frame had 36 predrilled holes and the new net had 40 loops. If you look carefully at the net picture at 12 and 6 o' clock you may just see that I have drawn 2 through each hole. The other 2 are lost at the spreader end.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Good work with a very explanatory diagram Fredline :Hat:

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

The major positive with this process is the net is locked and will not travel around the frame.
John Bickerdyke.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I forgot to mention the Snowbee replacement nets are quite superb and just perfect for this process.
John Bickerdyke.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”