Project on the back burner

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: Project on the back burner

Post by Bobthefloat »

Duebel wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:07 pm Terry, from my point of view as a joiner, I wouldn't use oak for the spreader, specially, if the spreader should be similar to the one, OMR has made of ply wood. Oak, or what ever hardwood you might use, will certainly crack as soon as you put pressure on the quite small joints.
You can, of course, make your own 3-layer ply wood from the oak you have. This will be much stronger than the solid oak as it is.
Generally speaking, gluing the cane directly in wood shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure, that it is a very tight fit. You want the joint to be as strong as possible without any glue. The latter should only keep everything in place.
Thank you very much Martin this would explain why I haven't found any information on cane being drilled and glued into solid hard wood spreader blocks :Hat:

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

On Martin's advice I shall make the oak into a 3ply block.
And then drill insert and glue the cane as MG's has.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Terry, it would probably be better if the cane hoop could be removed from the spreader block so the net can be more easily fitted or replaced.
I have used modern alloy spreaders in the past because of this reason plus they are light and very strong.

Wal.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:59 am Terry, it would probably be better if the cane hoop could be removed from the spreader block so the net can be more easily fitted or replaced.
I have used modern alloy spreaders in the past because of this reason plus they are light and very strong.

Wal.
2 years on and I never did get round to that! :Hahaha:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Haha, never noticed the date on your last post.

Definitely losing it mate.

Wal.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

I think I got the oak idea from Len Arbery I'm sure he told he'd made some spreader blocks from pieces of the original dam wall at Redmire. Thinking about it, it was probably just cladding some alloy.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”