Any use to anyone?

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Silfield
Brown Trout

Any use to anyone?

Post by Silfield »

ImageJust about to start a bit of a tidy up on this landing net as I plan to get it wet once more. If anyone has a use for the net for a project or display please let me know before it ends up as bird netting in the garden or another of swimbo's hair-brained schemes.
It is slightly darker than the photo, no tears and still strong-it is knotted thou. I don't want anything for it.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Any use to anyone?

Post by Olly »

I don't have a small net for trout/grayling when wading. If this would fit the bill I would receive it with thanks!

Could you let me know by PM please?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Hi, could you tell me if the net is named as I have an un named one which has the same mechanism as yours but with metal arms. Thank you.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Olly wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:11 pm I don't have a small net for trout/grayling when wading. If this would fit the bill I would receive it with thanks!

Could you let me know by PM please?
Pm sent, thanks.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Reedling wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:20 pm Hi, could you tell me if the net is named as I have an un named one which has the same mechanism as yours but with metal arms. Thank you.
Hello Reedling,
Sadly not. When I got the net a few weeks ago I spent many a fruitless hour trawling the web trying to identify it-found plenty without the locking mechanism and made of alloy but nothing the same. On one web search marathon, I did find a picture on here that was exactly the same, made a mental note to pm the poster but promptly dozed off! Tried in vain to find the post again but failed. Could that have been yours per chance?
The net head originally came attached to a cane and brass wading handle with spring clip but was far too short for my needs. I bought the much longer flamed handle/tip holder about 20 years ago and it has sat around ever since just waiting for the right net to come along.
If you manage to find out anything can you let me know?
Washington Irving

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Here is the net that I have and is probably the post that you saw. If I find out any info I will let you know for sure. It is a nice little mechanism and snaps into place nicely when opened.

https://www.traditionalfisherman.com/vi ... ng#p356553

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Silfield wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:41 pm ImageJust about to start a bit of a tidy up on this landing net as I plan to get it wet once more. If anyone has a use for the net for a project or display please let me know before it ends up as bird netting in the garden or another of swimbo's hair-brained schemes.
It is slightly darker than the photo, no tears and still strong-it is knotted thou. I don't want anything for it.
How does the mechanism work?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

You press the spring loaded button in the centre of the mechanism and it moves the horizontal brass arms down. These are articulated where the screw heads are visible and when the button is pressed they go more into a Y shape and disengage from the brass blocks at the end of the net arms. Quite ingenious and works very smoothly. Hope that made sense?
Washington Irving

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Are not knotted nets illegal to use nowadays ???

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

CWK wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:52 am Are not knotted nets illegal to use nowadays ???
Yes

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”