The Stour Roach - Net Handle

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Pallenpool
Zander

The Stour Roach - Net Handle

Post by Pallenpool »

Would anyone be able to cast some light over this 2 part landing net handle? It came to me in an Chapmans bag without any partitions - I thought this unusual in itself.

I have searched high and low on-line and cannot find any evidence to support Chapmans making these on a commercial basis - I was wondering if it may have been a commission only piece or even a one off sample?

On the other side of the coin it may just be a very well restored old net handle rechristened ‘The Stour Roach’ whatever the outcome I am very pleased it has found its way into my possession.

Peter
:Hat:

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Old Man River
Eel

Re: The Stour Roach - Net Handle

Post by Old Man River »

Looks to me as though it may be a rebuild Peter, or maybe a rod that has been resurrected as a net handle. The whippings and varnish look quite fresh .Either way it will be a nice addition to your collection.

David.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

It’s definitely a refurbished piece of cane David about 10 years ago apparently - but not used since. I don’t think it’s made from an old rod however - the two parts are more or less of equal diameter. My main reason for posting was just to see if anyone on the forum would know if Chapmans actually produced any net handles of any description - as far as I am aware they did not -
Peter
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

On that auction site many sellers believe that because the item is in a Hardy or Allcock or Chapman bag - it is the correct one!!

And therefore the contents are Hardy ----------------- etc.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Olly wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:04 pm On that auction site many sellers believe that because the item is in a Hardy or Allcock or Chapman bag - it is the correct one!!

And therefore the contents are Hardy ----------------- etc.
Totally agree Olly - when I purchased the net it was not on the pretence of it being a Chapmans - in fact Chapmans was never mentioned in the original listing (well not affirmatively) - my interest was sparked when I noticed the bag after picking the net up. As I have said it (on my part) is only a speculative cast into the forum - I am not expecting a response in the positive - but thought it would be worth a go.
Peter

Heraclitus

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Dave Austin used to make a lot of items out of old rod parts could it be one of his? Sadly Dave is no longer with us. :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”