Royal Avon Supreme Freebie

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Royal Avon Supreme Freebie

Post by Martin(rockape) »

I was given a Royal Avon Supreme by a gent on ebay. Long story short this reel was destined for the bin as it was in bits and the ratchet resistence lever and the other bits for that are missing, he didn't even want postage when offered.

It came with few bits from another grice and young also.
Screenshot_20210410-130543_Photos.jpg
1. I've come to the conclusion on fitting the Release cap that the threads maybe cross threaded. I've tried fitting screws from my Gypsy D'Or to no avail.

Q: how can i solve this?

2. There is no tension on the spring for the ratchet when in the OFF position, you'll see this in the photo marked "A"

Q: could this be from another Grice?

3. Any idea what screw I can use to fit this metal plate which I believe secures the spare Pawl marked "B"

4. "C" is obivously for the ratchet tension and its missing along with the lever on the other side.

Q: any ideas?

At the end of the day i have a reel that could be used as spares should the need arise but it would be nice to get this up and running as most of it is there.

Thanks for looking any advice appreciated.

Kind regards

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Martin(rockape) on Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Royal Avon Supreme Freebie

Post by Duckett »

On your first question, I read somewhere on here (can’t find it now but think it was Nobby) that the screws on the central boss of the two screw later G&Y RAS are self tapping. That led me to conclude that removing them may wreck the central boss and even the holes in the alloy body. As a result, I have no intention of ever removing them from mine. As an aside, I later acquired an early 3 screw version and that is a much better built ‘pin.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Duckett wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:09 pm On your first question, I read somewhere on here (can’t find it now but think it was Nobby) that the screws on the central boss of the two screw later G&Y RAS are self tapping. That led me to conclude that removing them may wreck the central boss and even the holes in the alloy body. As a result, I have no intention of ever removing them from mine. As an aside, I later acquired an early 3 screw version and that is a much better built ‘pin.

Phil
That's a shame, the central boss was already dismantled when i got it, hopefully a solution will pop up soon.

Regards

Martin

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

I've come to the conclusion that the ratchet assembly on my reel might be from a different Grice and young pin as it makes no contact with the cog of the spool at all which might be obvious as it does look different to other Supreme's that I've seen pictured.

Regards

Martin

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”