Gypsy D'or

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Old Man River
Eel

Re: Gypsy D'or

Post by Old Man River »

Thanks Peter 😋

Re the circular ( or nearly ) check spring on the backplate.

See below.

It has to be open to grip upon the pawl that engages with the cog.

You may notice that my old Gypsy is a different colour to a bog standard, some years ago I decided to give it a spruce up as it was showing extreme signs of wear and tear, bashes, bumps and the paintwork was thoroughly chipped and scratched, against all advice, I sprayed it with bog standard Car touch up paint in a shake and spray can, after thoroughly cleaning the reel first.

It came up a treat after a few coats and a long delay between each coat to ensure it was thoroughly dry.It will be good for use in another 100 years I am sure , if the human race has not extinguished itself by then.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Post by Martin(rockape) »

Old Man River wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:43 pm Thanks Peter 😋

Re the circular ( or nearly ) check spring on the backplate.

See below.

It has to be open to grip upon the pawl that engages with the cog.

You may notice that my old Gypsy is a different colour to a bog standard, some years ago I decided to give it a spruce up as it was showing extreme signs of wear and tear, bashes, bumps and the paintwork was thoroughly chipped and scratched, against all advice, I sprayed it with bog standard Car touch up paint in a shake and spray can, after thoroughly cleaning the reel first.

It came up a treat after a few coats and a long delay between each coat to ensure it was thoroughly dry.It will be good for use in another 100 years I am sure , if the human race has not extinguished itself by then.

OMR
Thank you for that most appreciated.
Ive just given mine a good wash though i haven't removed the release cap yet but judging by the amount of residue on the cotton buds i used from the spindal housing(not sure if that's what it's called) i think it will cleanish inside.

Regards

Martin

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Interesting to hear about your respray David. I've been contemplating the renovations of a Jecta mk111 and a Seajecta and was thinking along the lines of a 2k rattle can until I read another post where a member mentions flooding on hammerite with a brush prior to baking dry in a low oven. I've a few G&Y reels that I can experiment on, in fact none of mine have particularly good paintwork which I think is perhaps their only achillies heel?

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Hi Alistair, the rattle can spray job did a neat and tidy finish to my rather tatty reel, I remover everything that could be removed, masked up everything that could be masked up, cleaned it thoroughly , and gave it a final wipe with meths , left the meths to "flash off" for several hours and went to work with the well rattled spray can, sprayed sparingly to avoid runs, let dry thoroughly , and resprayed several times.
I know that others have said avoid spray cans like the plague, well, tbh I just went ahead knowing that at worst I could paint over a bad result, well it has not been needed at all, I have a good finish, which tbh seems to be a harder finish than the original gold coloured reel had.
I am very satisfied with the result and would certainly do it again if needed.

OMR.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Chris R
Stickleback

Post by Chris R »

I’ve got a rather battered Gypsy D’OR - it’s missing the tiny lever that projects out from the centre boss which means I can’t take the drum off the spindle. I could remove the centre boss cover and trigger the drum release in that way I suppose. Either that or undo the nut on the back plate.
Also the ratchet refuses to work.
It all adds up to taking the reel apart completely, shouldn’t be too difficult- it’s a fairly simple bit of kit.
Bit of a mystery as to how it got into this state - I last used it a few years back and it was ok then. I like the idea of Hammerite. Thanks for motivating me to get this fine reel back into working order.
Chris R

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good morning,these new spray cans are good,now cellulose is not available now ,the paint is really hard when it dries so check it out.Terry

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good afternoon fellow friend I would be very careful as some paints don’t match and they care bubble up ,I do know Hammerite can have this problem due to the chemical makeup ,try the car spray which is now Acrylic and that should match cellulose and the Acrylic paint is very hard wearing Terry

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Many of the early G&Y reels were indeed painted in an early form of Hammerite paint perfected by Finnegan's of Liverpool which was only available to the professional trades and eventually to the public by mail order.

The 'pro' version was thinned in some way and sprayed on whereas the public stuff was like treacle! I stripped and painted my very first motorcycle with it. It looked OK but probably devalued it from the financial asset it would have been today.

I'm a bit confused how your spool stays on the reel if there is no release lever as it is the lever that keeps the spool in place and without it it would simply fall off. Perhaps there's some semblance of it left inside, the remainder having been cut off to stop line snagging on it, maybe?

It wouldn't be too hard to drill and file up another lever.

Chris R
Stickleback

Post by Chris R »

Gentlemen
I think the remainder of the drum release must still be in position inside the boss. I’ll remove the boss and get busy with the hacksaw and files. Also thank you for the advice on paint- I’ve got a wide drum ejects III that’s chipped and battered. Might repaint that at the same time. I’ll take a photo of the result.
Thanks for your advice
Chris

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Good information gents :Hat: A spray can 'restomod' is now on the long list of things to do!

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”