Avon Crown Competition

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Liphook
Barbel

Avon Crown Competition

Post by Liphook »

I don't see much in the way of information on these? I have one in dark grey with the 3 screw boss and line guard. The backplate has slots for the ratchet lever to be installed on both sides of the reelfoot but neither the ratchet mechanism nor the line guard are movable as they are riveted in. Does anyone know the dates of production by any chance?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Avon Crown Competition

Post by Nobby »

I can't help with dates, sorry, but just once I have seen one on eBay set up for left hand wind. Presumably it was a special order...and that dates it really to when everyone was ...well, quite clumsy really ;-)

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Avon Crown Competition

Post by Liphook »

Thanks Nobby. On closer inspection it's only the line guard that has slots for either hand set up, the ratchet lever has only one position. I'm wondering if the line guards were originally riveted in place or whether this has been fixed at a later date as the rivet is quite crude? I'm going to remove it either way as it's no good for Wallis casting. I'm lucky in that this one spins like a top now I've gently polished the spindle and has had the pawl shaped/replaced for LHW.

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”