Get your grices out for the boys!

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Get your grices out for the boys!

Post by Bobthefloat »

I woke up this morning with the oncoming lockdown hanging over my head and thought to myself today is probably the only chance I'll get to go realistically before Thursday.
The weather outside today made me think twice so I decided to play with my tackle while the wife is at work as this is normally frowned upon at our dinner table.

At the beginning of the year I sold a huge amount of my traditional collection of rods ,pins and reels and nets as they were just not getting used and were becoming expensive ornaments.
It was extremely liberating and I've only kept the items I'm not afraid to use or get dirty.

I absolutely love my Grice and young pins with their no nonsense, heavy built like tanks charm.
They do not cost the earth and are extremely reliable and best of all I'm not afraid to use them!

The three models that have found their way to me cover 99% of my fishing

Whilst administering some TLC to my pair of Golden Eagle's I noticed a couple of slight differences and realised one of them was built possibly alot earlier than the other.
One has the label Dorset England
And the other Hants England which I believe is the earlier pin as I'm sure I've read on here that Grice and Young changed premises at some stage?
But as suggested by RBT this morning was it infact the change in county lines?
The fact I have one of each is just a happy accident.

There is another slight difference in the spool release lever.
The Hants version has this little flat rounded lever
And the Dorset version has this looped wire lever

Inside the back plates both are stamped with
GRICE AND YOUNGS LTD CHRISTCHURCH HANTS

So there you have it my little accidental collection of Grices that all get used throughout the season.
Avon Royal Supreme
Avon Royal Eagle
Golden Eagle

I wonder if we could get a complete list of all the early models before they went plastic at the top of this forum section?
Last edited by Bobthefloat on Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Get your grices out for the boys!

Post by RBTraditional »

Lovely collection there Terry... I do like a Grice, mainly because I love a lever check rather than a button myself....they have an iconic look about them. I could be wrong about the county boundary changes but I thought I had read about it somewhere?
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

RBTraditional wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:03 pm Lovely collection there Terry... I do like a Grice, mainly because I love a lever check rather than a button myself....they have an iconic look about them. I could be wrong about the county boundary changes but I thought I had read about it somewhere?
I know what you mean I like a lever check every pin should have one !!!
Both those little Avon Royal Supreme's were from you mate I believe you had one of them from new?
Last edited by Bobthefloat on Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Interesting as I’m a big fan of lever checks and Richard Carter made a few. Garry makes a good lever check and I even have a couple made by Chris Lythe but try asking him to make one now and he’ll explain why he doesn’t make them anymore.. In truth it’s all about the strength of the spring that stops them pinging out. The G&Y has one that would operate a railway junction as has been Dai they are built like a tank.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have always been a big fan of G&Y reels. The Royal Supreme is a very strongly made reel which has everything you could ask for, including a spare pawl, spare grub screw and even an oil reservoir. They are so well thought out.

My favourites though are the Gypsy reels, basic but very well made and extremely free turning. The Gypsy D'Or and the Gypsy D'Argent 4 1/4" diameter reels are very nice trotting reels and the little Gypsy Gem is the perfect small stream reel.

Nice collection Terry. A reel for any situation there.

Wal.

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

I also had similar thoughts about thursday so had a couple of hours of pre lockdown fishing in the rain this afternoon at a small nearby pond using my G and Y Gypsy D'or reel.
Landed a couple of carp on float fished luncheon meat in the margin but then all went quiet about 4 pm
Last edited by SkimmingTheCream on Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I'm also a G&Y fan. Robust reels that are now climbing slightly in price by the looks of the online auctions. I have several ARS''s, two of which I have loaded with 40lb braid for float trolling baits for pike from the boat. Unfortunately both of these have been daubed with army green paint by a previous owner but are sturdy bits of kit. Playing an angry croc on them quickly reminds you to avoid those back spinning handles! I have another early siver model with a forum arbor fitted - this will get an outing for grayling once things improve both on the river and with this covid caper. All of mine have the 3 screw boss. I also have a few G&Y fly reels which are good for silk lines on short cane.
Last edited by Liphook on Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi 'Bob-the float', Very interesting. As I understand it Christchurch was changed by county boarders shafeling in 1974. It must have been easier to add a plastic badge to reflect the change and use up existing stock of castings for the back plates; hence the double identity!

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Tonkin Wand wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:28 pm Hi 'Bob-the float', Very interesting. As I understand it Christchurch was changed by county boarders shafeling in 1974. It must have been easier to add a plastic badge to reflect the change and use up existing stock of castings for the back plates; hence the double identity!
Makes complete sence sir RBT hit the pin on the head then!
Thank you :Hat: :cheers:

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

The Avon Royal Supreme has features that a lot of far more prestigious reels lack. The outboard ratchet lever nestling conveniently next to the reel foot being one . No fumbling for that one with cold and wet hands.
And the adjustable drag lever is perfect for subtly preventing the drum from rotating when ledgering in a strong current.
Plus l caught my biggest freshwater fish on a G&Y ARS last Sunday !
IMG-20201026-WA0010.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”