Jecta 111. Cleaning

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Jecta 111. Cleaning

Post by Martin(rockape) »

I've just bought a Jecta 111 which needs a really good de gunk.
Any advice on what i can use that might be readily available in most people's houses.

Do's and Don't would be useful.

Thank you Gents.

Regards

Martin

Stingray
Grayling

Re: Jecta 111. Cleaning

Post by Stingray »

I always wipe away as much gunk as possible with dry kitchen roll cut into smaller squares before I go on to the cleaning and solvents stage. Lubing comes last. BTW I would class WD40 as a cleaning solvent in this case rather than a lube; ordinary washing up liquid and warm water is good. Rinse & dry thoroughly before lube.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I agree with Stingray but would add one thing. G & Y ‘pins often have silver/white corrosion on the surface of the alloy. I like battle scars, so I leave well alone unless it’s interfering with performance, on the rim for example. I find that I bit if 0000 wire wool rolled onto the end or a cocktail still or extra long match (like cotton buds!) allows you to clean up small patches without much needless extra damage to the paintwork.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Stingray wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:48 pm I always wipe away as much gunk as possible with dry kitchen roll cut into smaller squares before I go on to the cleaning and solvents stage. Lubing comes last. BTW I would class WD40 as a cleaning solvent in this case rather than a lube; ordinary washing up liquid and warm water is good. Rinse & dry thoroughly before lube.

Pretty much what I've ended up doing.
Old tooth brush, washing up liquid and WD40..

Job done.

Regards

Martin

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

To add to this the reel along with a bit of a wobble was catching on the brass lever stud if i can call.it that. 4 of the studs on the underside of the spool showed where it was striking this.

After removing the black release cap which wasn't seated properly and clearing out an unbelievable amount of thick grease it has solved the problem. Infact one of the screws didn't want to screw all the way down but just swapping it around solved this and its now seated correctly and the reel spins without catching.

I'm well chuffed because albeit a simple task I'm not one for tinkering and fixing things.

Regards

Martin

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Martin(rockape) wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:16 am I'm well chuffed because albeit a simple task I'm not one for tinkering and fixing things.

Regards

Martin
Careful, Martin. You'll be getting the tinkering bug.

DAVE

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”