Grice and Young Spares

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
JohnRichards
Stickleback

Grice and Young Spares

Post by JohnRichards »

Hi guys

Does anyone know where I can source some spare parts?

Thanks

John.

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Grice and Young Spares

Post by Liphook »

What are you needing John?

Danesman
Silver Bream

Post by Danesman »

Hi John

Earlier today I sourced a grub screw for my Trudex which looks very simlar to the grub screw on my Jecta mk3 from Mill Tackle 01527 853438. They have a big intrest in vintage reels and even make pins themselves. They might be worth a try

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Sadly the company were bought by Shakespeare and the reel designs flogged of to a South African company. The only real source of any spares is secondhand reels, though I have managed to find modern circlips to fit etc etc.

Even the factory has gone.....

It once looked like this....

( We think Woodfields shared the building at one time)

JohnRichards
Stickleback

Post by JohnRichards »

Thank you guys. I will try Mill Tackle. They sorted my Rapidexes. Basically I need a line guard for a Gypsy D’Or And a spring for the reel boss the old three screw one. Also I rather liked the red and blue handles and boss that were on some G&Y reels.

Tight Lines

John

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Garry can probably help out with a spring....or you can make one by chopping down a small safety pin.

The Gypsy d'Or had two types of line guard, one was half an elongated oval 'ring' the later a rectangular one made from a flat sheet of metal and appropriate barrels holding them apart.

I imagine they might have used different mounting holes...but they do look the same:

I rather suspect you will want the first type shown if you have a three hole centreboss.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

You might find all those things on a cheap donor reel with a knackered body. The only thing is, the 3 screw boss means an early reel and, as far as I am aware, the coloured handles and bosses cam from later, 2 screw reels.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ugh....two screw bosses. Held on with self-tapping screws! There ought to have been a law against it......

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Nobby wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:56 am Ugh....two screw bosses. Held on with self-tapping screws! There ought to have been a law against it......
With you there Nobby. I have one G&Y with the nasty 2 screw boss and, although it’s fine so far, I only buy 3 screw boss reels now!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”