Brice and Young Orlando

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
BF60
Minnow

Brice and Young Orlando

Post by BF60 »

Hi,I was thinking of buying the above reel for float fishing in the sea. Would this be a suitable? What would be a suitable rod? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Brice and Young Orlando

Post by Duckett »

Can’t help I’m afraid but I’d love to read the results of any sea fishing you do with it. The Orlando has to be a spark of insane genius from the warped mind of the unacknowledged William Heath Robinson of angling! My respects sir.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

I have an Orlando Minor; I've used it and I do like it. It is meant to be a beach reel and the whole design is all about casting but I see no reason why it could not be used for float fishing but great care would need to be taken not to drop the spool if fishing from boat/rocks/pier etc, the mechanism being to remove the spool from the spindle and place it on the dummy spindle at the front for casting. I use mine with fairly modest old hollow glass beachcasters easily casting 50 to 100 yards and also a 10' when targeting fish feeding closer in; actually you might not want to cast too far with it as the retrieve is slow. Remember to alternate which way round the spool is on casting to reverse the line twist that happens with sidecasters; also no lineguard so beware of coils blowing off when windy. Built like tanks like most G&Y reels. I've always planned to try mine out on pike but not got around to it yet.

BF60
Minnow

Post by BF60 »

Thanks very much for your replies very much appreciated

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”