Avon Royal Supreme Off/On brake

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Avon Royal Supreme Off/On brake

Post by Duckett »

As far as I am aware Dave, the break should still slip and give line when full on - it was designed for barbel making a torpedo like run and named after The Royalty Fishery on the River Avon near the G&Y hometown of Christchurch (and, as an aside, is the best margin carp 'pin I've ever used). When off, it should be fully off with no breaking.

As I mentioned earlier, my two vary a bit in breaking pressure but both have spring that travel around 2mm between fully off and fully on. So, I'd be inclined to take the spring off by removing the screw on the bar that holds the spare pawl in place and then tease it open slightly with my fingers. If I was using pliers to help me, I'd use my small jewellers/modellers pliers that have a rubber lining rather than a serrated grip, to avoid damage to the spring (others might think this unnecessary precaution with a spring perhaps but I'm also an N Gauge railway modeller and cautious!).

Be gentle, take the teasing apart in small stages, re-fitting in-between and testing until you are happy.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Sound advise from Phil.
Here are a couple of reels showing the original spring shape. It is very easy to reshape these springs but be careful not to go too far and end up with the drag binding when switched off.

Wal.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I put my older supreme reel on an old rod threaded line through first butt and attached my little S. Allcock brass 4lb scales. When I put the brake lever to total 'ON' position the reading on scales was around 1/2lb pull. A bit rough and ready I know but it will give you an idea I hope. See picture... :Hat:

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Many thanks for all that priceless help, chaps. It is amazing how far folk will go to help around here. A little very careful spring stretching with two pairs of small pliers and the brake is working now; hundred percent improvement. Cheers.
DAVE.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Stingray wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:52 am Many thanks for all that priceless help, chaps. It is amazing how far folk will go to help around here. A little very careful spring stretching with two pairs of small pliers and the brake is working now; hundred percent improvement. Cheers.
DAVE.
Excellent news Dave. I hope that, like me, you have many days of reliable fishing out of her.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”