Avon Royal Supreme Wick Oiler

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Avon Royal Supreme Wick Oiler

Post by Martin(rockape) »

Finally got myself a ARS at a decent price just missing its line guard but the free one i was given has a line guard I can put to good use.

My question is the Wick Oiler is rather tight on both reels and wondered if anyone can advise me how to remove it without damaging it?
Mine is a plastic cog.

All I can think of is maybe leaving it outside in the hot sun when we get some for a short while enough to see if this might help ease its movement.

Kind regards

Martin
Last edited by Martin(rockape) on Sat May 15, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Avon Royal Supreme Wick Oiler

Post by Duckett »

I have 2, an early 3 screw boss version and a later 2 screw boss version.

The 3 screw oiler is alloy with a tiny cork washer (I think - the washer seems very robust for something so thin and it feels as if it had something in it to strengthen it) and this came off with hard finger pressure.

The 2 screw oiler is plastic and has no washer - like yours I assume. It was stuck fast but soaking in WD40 for half and hour and hard pressure from my thumb and forefinger wearing rubber washing up gloves got it off.

Thing is, although I like the design in theory, for my fingers it’s way too small to be convenient to use on the bank and in cold weather I could see it at the bottom of a lake or river! So, I’ve never used it for the purpose for which it was intended!

Wonderful reels though.

Best of luck with it.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Just curious, definitely would have been better with a metal one with a large slot.

Regards

Martin

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

I wasn't able to free up the plaztic oil wicker so will just leave it looking pretty in red.

My recent purchase now fitted with a line guard, cleaned and a fresh dab of oil now looks and spins beautifully, its amazing how much really old oil on the spindle can slow tge pin down.

Do any of you guys put a dab of grease on the ratchet lever mechanism? I've just put a tiny bit of oil on mine.

Regards

Martin

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Martin(rockape) wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:26 pm I wasn't able to free up the plaztic oil wicker so will just leave it looking pretty in red.

My recent purchase now fitted with a line guard, cleaned and a fresh dab of oil now looks and spins beautifully, its amazing how much really old oil on the spindle can slow tge pin down.

Do any of you guys put a dab of grease on the ratchet lever mechanism? I've just put a tiny bit of oil on mine.

Regards

Martin
I’ve tried oil and grease but now just put a drop of oil on the ratchet pawl. I find Gary Mills advice of wiping a ‘pin inside and out with an old oily rag after each session seems to keep things just fine. It’s not a problem with any G&Y style enclosed reel but with any open Ariel style ‘pin, grease just acts like a magnet to grit on the bank.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Duckett wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:53 pm
Martin(rockape) wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:26 pm I wasn't able to free up the plaztic oil wicker so will just leave it looking pretty in red.

Regards

Martin
I’ve tried oil and grease but now just put a drop of oil on the ratchet pawl. I find Gary Mills advice of wiping a ‘pin inside and out with an old oily rag after each session seems to keep things just fine. It’s not a problem with any G&Y style enclosed reel but with any open Ariel style ‘pin, grease just acts like a magnet to grit on the bank.

Phil
Cheers Phil, that was my thought also i was just curious to know what others do.

Regards

Martin

PeteB
Stickleback

Post by PeteB »

I bought a ARS off of the well know action site, it arrived this morning and the plastic wick oiler was also locked solid.
Had some damage too where someone had tried to remove it with screwdriver. After cutting away the burrs I soaked it in WD40 for half hourthen got out my jewellery beading pliers (I use these for making wire eyes for my floats) and with a lille pressure it came free.
20210615-13154 pm(2) (Small).jpg
20210615-13154 pm(0) (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”