trotting Reel (youngs pattern 9&10 style) [unconfirmed]

The Kenny Kendall Reels forum.
Chavender
Eel

trotting Reel (youngs pattern 9&10 style) [unconfirmed]

Post by Chavender »

Now these reels have caused deliberations as too who made them as they're not named or marked and the early ones have a " W " style spring similar but not the same as those used by harry renaulds and cliff adcocks in there stantons ,but I'll come too that later .these are well made reels similar in style too youngs pattern 9 & 10 (trade reels) reels .but have some differences like the spring arrangement ,something they share with another reel thought to be a Kk made reel .there's several versions of this model .some are trotting reels .but there's a bottom reel version too.and rather nice looking reels ,there are some features that match other Kk reels .but with out confirmation its a speculative link .

early models have the top hat style handles and knobs ,the same style centre's often found on Kk reels ,the triangle shaped pawl ,the slim spindle .
very much in the youngs style of there pattern 9 & 10 reels ,with a couple alterations (the Kenny kendall way) ,nice size . 4 1/4" diameter x 5/8" between plates.

later ones or different use version ,(one model for trotting (w sping) ,one model for a bottom reel (lver and V spring) has a convensional rathet with V type sping & levers (well its hard too fit levers too W springs ) so maybe there was the option of either style .they come as standard faced (no perforations) or lite versions with perforations /holes in spool near rim .the early ones having brass centre's later alloy ones ,all the " W " sprung ones having two holed centre's and the levered ones three holed centre's there seems too be less of these bottom versions .like other Kk reels you can go years only seeing the odd one on that auction site ,then suddenly loads turn up on the scene.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Chavender
Eel

Re: trotting Reel (youngs pattern 9&10 style) [unconfirmed]

Post by Chavender »

early brass centred one here ,with the trademark " W " spring ,this one was said to have a spitfire finnish

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

this ones a natural finished reel that's taken to a nice greyish patternina

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

another similar one ,possibly faded anodised reel

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

A black anodised version

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I could not attempt to add to your conclusions, but I have owned and sold a number of similar reels, but I will give the floor to a man that I know has some answers! Over to you Wal! :Hat:
Last edited by Lea Dweller on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

later possibly post war or late 40's ,reel with the perforations (lite version) ,it has a little damage too the foot but otherwise looks good for its age

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

another later model now with plastic handles ,I may of pirated these pictures from lucky luca, :tea: :Wink: :Hat: as I haven't found my own yet only to demonstrate this variation .of the model ,it does seem to have better quality too the aluminium .or just a different version of the spitfire shiny finish as the centre is brass ....

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

this one is a much later one by its nearly new appearance ,or could it be a modern copy by someone else .the alloy looks higher grade .or maybe a much later spitfire finnish version the handles may not be original or just later (cheap) plastic ones .it does have the alloy centre that's right for later models .

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

this is a bottom reel version with rear turn knob inner levered ratchet ,quite different from the trotting versions .but is a later version with plastic handles and alloy two holed centre (some of this type has three holed centres) .and rim perforations (lite version) a nice looking reel .

Return to “Kenny Kendall Reels”