Bintree Mill Trout Fishing

This forum belongs to the River Wensum.
Silfield
Brown Trout

Bintree Mill Trout Fishing

Post by Silfield »

I am excited!
It has just been confirmed that I have a day ticket to fish the Yarrow Farm and County School beats of the Wensum on September 15th and to say I am over the moon is a bit of an understatement. I have not fished such a wonderful looking stretch of chalk stream before but have often gazed into the river in various places and hoped that one day it would become a reality.
My river fishing, especially with a fly, has been very limited (almost non existent) so this should be a challenge to say the least but I am hoping that it is going to be the catalyst that steers me away from the lakes and broadens my fishing knowledge and know-how.
Any hints and tips always welcome :Wink:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Bintree Mill Trout Fishing

Post by Pallenpool »

Silfield wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:43 am I am excited!
It has just been confirmed that I have a day ticket to fish the Yarrow Farm and County School beats of the Wensum on September 15th and to say I am over the moon is a bit of an understatement. I have not fished such a wonderful looking stretch of chalk stream before but have often gazed into the river in various places and hoped that one day it would become a reality.
My river fishing, especially with a fly, has been very limited (almost non existent) so this should be a challenge to say the least but I am hoping that it is going to be the catalyst that steers me away from the lakes and broadens my fishing knowledge and know-how.
Any hints and tips always welcome :Wink:
A good piece of flake trotted down stream should see you well :Scared:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Very fortunate. I long for a miraculous chalk stream to appear up here in the north.

I've never fished a chalk stream so my advise would be useless, other than to say look for cover and spend a lot of time on your knees. Tight lines.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Pallenpool wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:56 am
A good piece of flake trotted down stream should see you well :Scared:
Thanks-I had hoped to be able to return in the future but I think that may well put the kibosh on it-I was thinking more along the lines of a bit of pork pie :Sarcasm:
Marc, I suspect that I will be spending a lot of time on my knees anyway if the fish aren't biting-praying to the piscatorial gods!
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Green with envy, wish you tight lines.

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

Hello and I hope you enjoy your day on this water. I know it well as I was a member for many years and still fish it on occasions as a guest of a member. By September the weed will be beginning to die back and the fish likely to be quite cautious. Tread carefully and spend most of your time in observation, either for the odd rising fish or, more likely, fish moving to subsurface food items. Nymphing can be very successful although fish can tempted to rise at that time of the year even to a mayfly or, by the evening, to sedge patterns. Upstream end of Yarrow beat usually more productive but fish can be found along most of the stretch.
Look forward to hearing of your success on this, my home river.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

As a matter of pure curiosity, do we know what the roach population is like on this stretch?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Tengisgol wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:04 pm As a matter of pure curiosity, do we know what the roach population is like on this stretch?
Not a clue on this particular stretch but I have spent many hours walking the banks of a stretch further upstream and have seen a fairly healthy population of roach-mostly small but encouraging never the less. Who knows what is hiding in the abundant weed?
Washington Irving

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

Tengisgol wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:04 pm As a matter of pure curiosity, do we know what the roach population is like on this stretch?
In a word, poor! At least over the years and areas I fish!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Rutilus wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:27 pm
In a word, poor! At least over the years and areas I fish!
We’ve had a reasonable increase downstream with quite a few pound plussers. Getting them to then make that jump to the magic ‘two’ proves the challenge although I did see a group of very big fish one evening.

Down toward Norwich a friend had a genuine two pounder a couple of years ago.

About ten years ago I fished upstream of Bintree and caught lots of small roach but I don’t know what has happened there recently.

Thanks Rutilus! Good luck Silfield.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “River Wensum”