2 Records!

The Other Reels forum.
Silfield
Brown Trout

2 Records!

Post by Silfield »

I have been after a particular Swiss reel for a couple of years or more, having had one start an itch that needed scratching, although it was at a price that I couldn't justify. If I played the waiting game one would eventually turn up that needed a bit of TLC. They seem fairly uncommon in the UK with little information to hand but were marketed in the US where they had more sales, making internet searches a bit more fruitful today.

Today Record #1 arrived.
The little green Swiss watch!

ImageImage

I dont know when the last time it was used but everything seems to work in a very satisfying manner.
The box also contained the Shakespeare 2062. Little used and in great condition but it is about 30 years younger than the Record at a guess!
Record also made these reels for ABU, those being marked AB Urfabriken.

Record #2.
From purchase to delivery ( from New Jersey,via Kentucky to Norfolk) was 4 days. That has to be a record :Thumb:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Duckett
Tench

Re: 2 Records!

Post by Duckett »

Very nice and even nicer to be able to successfully scratch an itch. I must try that line on my girlfriend next time I acquire something!

On international delivery records ....... Bozeman Montana to Clerkenwell in central London in 2 days! That was UPS. With the Kentucky detour, I assume FedEx?

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Interesting reel Silfield, well done on completing the quest! I'd be interested to see the internals if at all possible? :Hat:

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Duckett wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:54 pm Very nice and even nicer to be able to successfully scratch an itch. I must try that line on my girlfriend next time I acquire something!

On international delivery records ....... Bozeman Montana to Clerkenwell in central London in 2 days! That was UPS. With the Kentucky detour, I assume FedEx?

Phil
2 days :shocked:
USPS and Hermes this time for me.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Liphook wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:55 am Interesting reel Silfield, well done on completing the quest! I'd be interested to see the internals if at all possible? :Hat:
Not yet delved inside the reel as it only arrived yesterday but it is planned soon.
Here is some information that is going to be most useful....
https://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?t=20042
Washington Irving

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

I think the early record fixed spool reels are amazingly good quality I have a 600.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Lots of enthusiasm about that lovely Record and rightly so but you also have a nice Shakespeare there. This collector in Cz catagorises it as a USA made Shakespeare (usually decent quality) yours is the second to last here I think :

http://www.shakespearman.freepage.cz/no ... ka-300451/

Aluminium ("aluminum" :shocked: ) body and ball bearings to name but two features listed on the box there.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Stingray wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:49 am Lots of enthusiasm about that lovely Record and rightly so but you also have a nice Shakespeare there. This collector in Cz catagorises it as a USA made Shakespeare (usually decent quality) yours is the second to last here I think :

http://www.shakespearman.freepage.cz/no ... ka-300451/

Aluminium ("aluminum" :shocked: ) body and ball bearings to name but two features listed on the box there.
Thanks, I saw that they have a following, I think there is a Shakespeare collector on here.
This one has 2062 DC embossed in the side plate as well as "made in the USA" cast in the foot.
I honestly dont think this one has been used much, if at all but has a few little rub marks to the paint.
Washington Irving

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Liphook wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:55 am Interesting reel Silfield, well done on completing the quest! I'd be interested to see the internals if at all possible? :Hat:
I had a few hours on Sunday to fully strip the Record, find out how it works and give it a bit of TLC.
The internals are surprisingly simple, if not a bit quirky but very well engineered and easy to work on. Looking forward to using this soon.

Please don't look too closely at the paint job, not my finest work :whistle:
Washington Irving

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I like it a lot :Thumb: Please tell me more about your paint job? I notice the humbrol thinners....I've been contemplating using their spray enamel on a couple of tatty pins...

Return to “Other Reels”