Arnold Kingpin ... issue?

The Other Reels forum.
SharkBoy
Perch

Arnold Kingpin ... issue?

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi guys anyone fish with these reels? .. do you have a solution to the issue of the brass knurled nut on the back plate slipping when playing a fish and potentially coming of into the water? Wonder if anyone has a solution .. cheers

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Arnold Kingpin ... issue?

Post by Pallenpool »

Mmmm - my solution - remember to always check the nut whilst fishing - as it is used to take the backing plate away from the drum you really can do nothing else. The other thing I did do however was purchase a few of these nuts as spares - you will need them.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I use blue loctite on my model helicopter, this hold any nut/bold from vibrating loose.
Just a tiny dab on the thread.
I would be happy to post you a little bottle, use some & post it back?

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Paul can you send me an image of the glue to stevosharkboy@me. com and I will purchase a bottle đź‘Ť

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Yes, I have a solution. I used a thin fibre washer with a little oil on it. Screwed down tight meant it locked on but not so much you couldn’t unscrew it again.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Interesting - gentlemen, the other thing to bear in mind is being able to take the nut off quickly as the kingpin does have a tendency to lose line behind the drum - if in both of these solutions above this is not a problem to quickly remove then I will certainly adopt one.
I would still however purchase a few spares all the same.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I have just had a chat with Phil and it does most certainly sound a good idea - and importantly enables the drum release to a quick operation.

Heraclitus

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Does anyone have a link to suitable spare nuts or know what the thread is ?
Pete

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Mark may well know - I was talking with him about these last year - I purchased mine when they were making the reels. Someone of course maybe able to help you - but try Mark.

Heraclitus

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

If a quickly removable solution is required for the nut I would be tempted to try one of the myriad of styles of shakeproof washers that are available.

The type shown can be tweaked to have a less aggressive bite by flattening the teeth with gentle taps of a hammer so that they do the intended task but without digging in.
I liked what this person had done with the countersunk screw but you would need to carry a suitable screwdriver with you if the line took a dive behind the spool.

Dont know if these details are still current?
ARNOLD KINGPIN (centrepin reels)
K W Engineering, Unit 5, 7 Ency Park, Abingdon Road, Nuffield Industrial Estate, Poole BH17 0UH
01202 677990
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “Other Reels”