Stupid Question Time regarding centrepin reels.

The Other Reels forum.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Stupid Question Time regarding centrepin reels.

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Would drilling holes into the rear of the rotor prevent this I wonder?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes I think it would Clive but it could also allow muck to be drawn in through the holes. Maybe a fine mesh could be added over the hole or holes.

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

The Orlando sidecasters have a skirt as does the drum of my Hardy Eddystone 6" reel.

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

A chap on Maggotdrowners has recently asked the same sort of question. Problems with line behind the spool. That's from a Cyprinus Monarch reel, Chinese import I think.

I'm not entirely sure these imports were originally targeted at the UK market, I think it was the USA and steelhead fishing, which uses much stronger and hence thicker diameter lines. Even so there's a video online where an Amazon bargain reel has ended up with all sorts of line behind the spool.

I reckon it was opportunist U.K. tackle dealers who thought they could flog a few. Nothing wrong with that, but I suspect through a lack of knowledge rather than carelessness we ended up with some very nice looking pins that spun for a long time, but were unfit for purpose for UK light line fishing.

More culpable are those who dealt with the manufacturers at Ali Express and had them badged up with an own brand or traditional sounding name. I've been using the zoom function on the Kindle to look at the tolerances at actual size and some of them are absolutely appalling.

Not that this is terminal, as if the likes of Gary Mills can screw line guards to the outside of reels, then circular collars can be screwed to the inside of reels. Precision work to be sure, but it would turn the usual suspects that regularly appear on the bay into usable reels.

Ok moan over.

All the best
Will.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Willsmodger wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:01 pm A chap on Maggotdrowners has recently asked the same sort of question. Problems with line behind the spool. That's from a Cyprinus Monarch reel, Chinese import I think.

I'm not entirely sure these imports were originally targeted at the UK market, I think it was the USA and steelhead fishing, which uses much stronger and hence thicker diameter lines. Even so there's a video online where an Amazon bargain reel has ended up with all sorts of line behind the spool.

I reckon it was opportunist U.K. tackle dealers who thought they could flog a few. Nothing wrong with that, but I suspect through a lack of knowledge rather than carelessness we ended up with some very nice looking pins that spun for a long time, but were unfit for purpose for UK light line fishing.

More culpable are those who dealt with the manufacturers at Ali Express and had them badged up with an own brand or traditional sounding name. I've been using the zoom function on the Kindle to look at the tolerances at actual size and some of them are absolutely appalling.

Not that this is terminal, as if the likes of Gary Mills can screw line guards to the outside of reels, then circular collars can be screwed to the inside of reels. Precision work to be sure, but it would turn the usual suspects that regularly appear on the bay into usable reels.

Ok moan over.

All the best
Will.
All the groups I am in have 3 common complaints about the cheaper modern centrepins. First, ratchet pawl springs snapping. Second, line behind the spool (when you ask, often braid). Third, bearings not lasting long.

It’s a combination of poor tolerances in the cheaper Chinese engineering (they do make decent stuff), not having taken the time to learn how to use a ‘pin and “you get what you pay for”. I usually end up saying either: if you want modern without breaking the bank then buy an Okuma, or; get a cosmetically poor Trudex, Rapidex or Grice & Young and learn how to use that first. Even a vintage bush ‘pin with a wobble will be a better learning tool than some of the cheap modern bearing reels.

Just my opinion but it’s how I learnt. I’m 61 and have fished on and off for over 50 years but I didn’t pick up a ‘pin until about 10 years ago.

Phil

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Fair points. I've read about the same problems. The river banks of this country must be littered with the small triangular pawl levers, as I've read about them falling out plenty of times. 😁

It needn't be that way. I've got a TF Gear Free Flow which were about £70 Iirc, mine was from eBay, and the build quality is excellent.

The Marco Cortesi MK2 is another well made reel. It's the one with all the cut outs and red inners. That was about £30 from Dragon Carp back then. Absolute steal.

All the best.
Will.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

You don't often get lines behind the spool - if - you control your reel by being in constant contact with the spool - unless using very fine line.

Lay the reel in the palm of your hand - use your thumb to operate the spool - moving either backwards or forwards or to hold it still.
Well that's the start!
When that is conquered try trotting a fast bit of water - easier than slow or stillwater! The spool is 'free-spool'.
Retrieve by batting the spool or by winding.

Return to “Other Reels”