ELO Bakelite Reels History.

The Other Reels forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

ELO Bakelite Reels History.

Post by Mr B »

I'm not sure why but I do have a soft spot for Bakelight reels ( Perhaps a Bakelite Bash On The Bank Beano?!)
I have been looking at these reels and have just got myself one, but don't know anything about the Company.. were, when and who etc. I couldn't see thread about that on TFF?
I was also thinking of "The Bakelite pecking order" of British reels?

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Duckett
Tench

Re: ELO Bakelite Reels History.

Post by Duckett »

I’m a bit of a fan of the Art Deco look of the ELO but finding a complete one took me 2 years! I’ve trawled everywhere and the only background I found was from SeanM in this thread.

viewtopic.php?p=167505#p167505

I have a Marco and an Allcocks Bakelite winch but the ELO is the only one I fish with as it looks good and is lighter and less clunky than the others.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

I must admit that the ELOs always look very good whereas the Allcocks are distinctly plain by comparison. Here's a curly ball to throw into the bakelite discussion: Penn multipliers, No.85 et al.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Duckett wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:46 pm I’m a bit of a fan of the Art Deco look of the ELO but finding a complete one took me 2 years! I’ve trawled everywhere and the only background I found was from SeanM in this thread.

viewtopic.php?p=167505#p167505

I have a Marco and an Allcocks Bakelite winch but the ELO is the only one I fish with as it looks good and is lighter and less clunky than the others.

Phil
Thats great Phill,
I have just read that post... very interesting!

Thank you.

Mr B

Ps interesting about Marco too. I have a couple of Allcocks Bakelites think I have already said that? I like them.. The ELO definitely looks more Art Deco.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Stingray wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:54 pm I must admit that the ELOs always look very good whereas the Allcocks are distinctly plain by comparison. Here's a curly ball to throw into the bakelite discussion: Penn multipliers, No.85 et al.
Penn Seaboy! i have two and plenty of others.. I collect Penn Reels and Alvey too!

My poor wife!

Mr B

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Mr B wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:02 pm
Stingray wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:54 pm I must admit that the ELOs always look very good whereas the Allcocks are distinctly plain by comparison. Here's a curly ball to throw into the bakelite discussion: Penn multipliers, No.85 et al.
Penn Seaboy! i have two and plenty of others.. I collect Penn Reels and Alvey too!

My poor wife!

Mr B
That must be why they call them multipliers my collection grew like tribbles as well. :Hahaha:

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Not sure of the history or pecking order , but you don't see much about the Gyrex and it looks very much from its time.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Keston wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:09 pm Not sure of the history or pecking order , but you don't see much about the Gyrex and it looks very much from its time.
The Gyrex (made by Millwards I think) is also a fIne looking design. Thing is, I’ve yet to see one that isn’t damaged or looks as if it’s damaged. Mind you, it took me ages to find a complete and undamaged ELO.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I have looked them up and they look very nice!

I did try to add a photo of one but the picture quality was to high and it couldn't be adjusted...
They look vey nice.
And... I must agree with the above comment...
Look nice on a rod with brass reel fittings..

I have just the rod.

Mr B

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

I think my Gyrex is undamaged but needs a good clean , I will try and pop some pics up , this one is 4inch and the report images around seem to be the 3.5inch.

Edit to add.
I just read the Gyrex Bakelite was reinforced with fabric , this might explain the patterns showing in the bakelite.

Return to “Other Reels”