C. Farlow & sons ( flick em )

The Other Reels forum.
Keston
Tench

C. Farlow & sons ( flick em )

Post by Keston »

I was wondering if anyone had a Farlow catalogue they might be kind enough to show me the listing of their flick em style centrepin please ?

Alternatively could anyone just tell me if black handles are correct ? They look right , fit right and serm original with some crazing.

I just picked one up, all works a treat just curious over the handles.

Much appreciated

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: C. Farlow & sons ( flick em )

Post by Harry H »

Here you go looks to be white in the picture not you can see much of it, the ones I've seen have been white Xylonite.
Image :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Harry H wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:23 am Here you go looks to be white in the picture not you can see much of it, the ones I've seen have been white Xylonite.
:Hat:
Brilliant , thank you for that . I was struggling to find information /images on this one .

Oddly I did find 2 variants with black handles , a Sowerbutts which had shaped black handles but there was a Martin James unventilated model with lever that has the same handles as this Farlows .

I would not have questioned the authenticity of the black handles except that the top of one screw is slightly burred .

Also curious over the mention of Roach reel de luxe .

Thanks again .

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Started to clean it up, think I will leave some patina on this one rather than try for a full polish .

Image]

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

]
Keston wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:04 am
Harry H wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:23 am Here you go looks to be white in the picture not you can see much of it, the ones I've seen have been white Xylonite.
Brilliant , thank you for that . I was struggling to find information /images on this one .

Oddly I did find 2 variants with black handles , a Sowerbutts which had shaped black handles but there was a Martin James unventilated model with lever that has the same handles as this Farlows .

I would not have questioned the authenticity of the black handles except that the top of one screw is slightly burred .

Thanks again .
The deluxe may refer to the Adjustable drag as i have seen them without them or they did a wooden Sheffield pattern for Roach fishing so it maybe because it was a better reel than that but probably the former. ImageImage
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Harry H wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:43 am ]
Keston wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:04 am

Thanks again .
The deluxe may refer to the Adjustable drag as i have seen them without them or they did a wooden Sheffield pattern for Roach fishing so it maybe because it was a better reel than that but probably the former.
Ah , maybe so , I dont recall seeing them without drag , but that would make sense .

Return to “Other Reels”