Early Homer style Flick 'Em 4"

The Other Reels forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Early Homer style Flick 'Em 4"

Post by AshbyCut »

During self isolation over the past 8 (yes ... 8 !!!) months ... I have been growing increasingly attracted by "telephone latch" centre pin reels, and I suspect that some of you may have cast a glance over this reel ... and I couldn't resist putting in an offer on it ... which was accepted.

Winging it's way to me is and early style Homer 'Flick 'Em' 4 inch reel ... but I've never seen one with what I can only describe as 'weight saving ventilation' of the back plate. I'm no engineer ... but it looks to be well executed to me ... and I'm fascinated to see how it feels in the hand.

ImageImageImageImageImage
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Early Homer style Flick 'Em 4"

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Looks very interesting. Let's hope that you are able to get out and enjoy it. :Beg:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:17 am Let's hope that you are able to get out and enjoy it. :Beg:
My hopes are building for the start of next season, Sir ... and 'hope springs eternal in the human breast' !!! :Thumb:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Dear AshbyCut

The rear ventilation 'go faster' holes look to be a later addition to the original reel.

Like you have found, the latch style reels are personally appealing through the simplicity and effectiveness of design.

The Hardy reels of the time 1930's to later, adopted similar latch style arrangements.....all good stuff.

All hopes are building for a pleasanter time next year. Perhaps may even see you on the bank.

As ever,.....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

That looks absolutely splendid Sir - I think the ventilation holes are a meritorious addition - I am sure there will be a noticeable lack of weight to the reel - I have two pins of similar virtue to your ‘homer’ one has ventilation the other not so - needless to say the pin of choice from the two is the ventilated - it is a joy to use. I sincerely hope you can get bank-side soon to try it out and please let us have a report if you will.

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

That’s a very interesting looking Homer style ‘pin Mal. I recall seeing it and am glad it’s found a good keeper.

I don’t lay any claims to being an expert (and I learnt 90% of what I think I know from Fredline), however, I looked at about 20 Homer Flick ‘Ems before purchasing my 2 and I do wonder if that is a very well made copy of a later rather than an earlier Flick ‘Em?

Why a copy? Primarily the ratchet button and it’s fitting but also the size of the holes for the wire cage.

Why a later model? From what I have seen, I have concluded that over time the Homer “telephone latch” became less rectangular and chunky, more elegant and more closely resembling an actual telephone. Yours is at the light and elegant end of the spectrum.

One question I must ask, once you receive it, is does it have the Homer wobble? I still haven’t seen a Homer, or possible copies, that don’t and yours does have the appearance of being very well engineered.

A very nice find.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

OK, how is this for odd. Another “unnamed Homer” has just appeared (I have no connection) with a very similar ratchet button and fixing, a cage made from thicker gauge wire and a very strange looking replacement for the telephone latch. Reel foot and fitting the same but no ventilation holes.

It never rains but it pours!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have just won one with no name and this one has another series of holes to the face plate. A cast in foot too by the looks of it.
I'll post a few pics once it arrives.

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

AshbyCut wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:42 pm During self isolation over the past 8 (yes ... 8 !!!) months ... I have been growing increasingly attracted by "telephone latch" centre pin reels, and I suspect that some of you may have cast a glance over this reel ... and I couldn't resist putting in an offer on it ... which was accepted.

Winging it's way to me is and early style Homer 'Flick 'Em' 4 inch reel ... but I've never seen one with what I can only describe as 'weight saving ventilation' of the back plate. I'm no engineer ... but it looks to be well executed to me ... and I'm fascinated to see how it feels in the hand.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Mal, I am sure there was a discussion quite recently about the backlate ventilation on one of these reels. I have looked everywhere and I can't find it.

Wal.

Return to “Other Reels”