Piscario Reels.

The Other Reels forum.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Piscario Reels.

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Willsmodger wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:32 am The artist realized immediately the hideousness of his creation and had the cave blocked, but not well enough.....
Thanks. That evokes fond memories of my dad, for the Black Prince was his reel of choice.

When I got into fishing, I bought a Ryobi closed face reel, and gave it to him. From then on he used it for everything.

After he passed, my brother restored his fishing box, and posted pictures on his Facebook page. Beautifully done and obviously very touching.

The Ryobi is there. Along with a Rapidex for some reason. I think my brother was trying to suggest the era he was from, Mr Crabtree and all that.

I'd never actually seen dad using a pin. One time on the Severn he had a go with my rod, which had my Adcock Stanton on it. I remember him looking at it and saying "the bloody things alive!"

All the best.
I have an Adcocks Stanton that has no ratchet check or friction drag. Add to that it was refurbished with new bearings by the factory. I know exactly what your Dad meant. You can't let your attention wander for a second. Even setting the rod up requires a different technique to other reels. You have to lock the spool just to unhook a fish.

I think the Black Price was the fruits of a marketing genius. It was so horrible and so cheap that all new anglers were immediately attracted to it, bought it and then quickly learned not to buy cheap ever again. It would not have been possible in the Internet age where even those 'unboxing' reviews would have had it sussed. But in those innocent days of printed adverts we were sucked into the trap.

Willsmodger
Rudd

Re: Piscario Reels.

Post by Willsmodger »

Hi Mole Patrol.

He said he had used pins when he started, but nothing like as free running. It was a bit comical, bless him. Not that I was any better. 9/10 casts ended up with the line around the handle. Funny how it affects you. My latest is the TF Gear Free Flow. Very nice reel, but I took one look at that high reel seat and swapped it for one off a Marco Cortesi.

I had one of the first black ones. I remember Cliff complaining about the state they came back in after anodizing. He compared it to someone defacing a Picasso!

That was one smoooooth reel.
Wish I still had it.

All the best.

Return to “Other Reels”