Reel ID Required

The Other Reels forum.
JW1
Grayling

Reel ID Required

Post by JW1 »

I recently bought this reel at auction;

ImageImageImage

could anyone give a clue as to the maker please. it is aluminium, brass and wood and should look quite good when sorted.
It doesn't have a Slater latch or any readily noticeable markings.
I am working through its problems but I will leave that to another post.

JW

StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: Reel ID Required

Post by StefanDuma »

I think its Smith & Wall I have had and handled a number of their reel with the crude ventilation holes before.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Yes! Smith & Wall I think that’s about right, failing this it could also be a possibility that Reuben Heaton may have had a hand in producing it - a lot of the Nottingham styled reels came out of these works - outside of this I could not pin point an efficacy to its origins.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

Thank you gentlemen for your responses and further cleaning has revealed what may be confirmation;

The first letter is not clear but the last letter is definitely a W or M, so looks good.

Just a further favour if I may, the ratchet knob is missing and I would like to make a new one, if you have any photos you could post up, it would be greatly appreciated.

JW

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

JW1 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:42 pm Thank you gentlemen for your responses and further cleaning has revealed what may be confirmation;

The first letter is not clear but the last letter is definitely a W or M, so looks good.

Just a further favour if I may, the ratchet knob is missing and I would like to make a new one, if you have any photos you could post up, it would be greatly appreciated.

JW
5 different ratchet buttons - 1st Smith & Wall 2nd Reuben Heaton, 3rd & 4th Slater, & 5th Reuben Heaton again - anyone of these would be in line with the replacement.

Peter
:Hat:

ImageImageImage
Last edited by Pallenpool on Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

The third, pinched button is Slater and the fourth might be Millward made in the old Slater factory.

My guess is that the star back was made by Heaton and supplied to S&M, they made parts and rod furnishing for many companies.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

StefanDuma wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:32 pm The third, pinched button is Slater and the fourth might be Millward made in the old Slater factory.

My guess is that the star back was made by Heaton and supplied to S&M, they made parts and rod furnishing for many companies.
I have amended the post - as you point out 3rd Picture is indeed a slater - all others are as per named - Millward may have marketed a similar or even identical reel but this one is marked R.H.
:Hat:

Heraclitus

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

RH certainly made lots of components for many companies, and also complete reels. One thing Millward did was to have their check button between the star back or fitted in the back. I am still trying to get to grips with this as Slater made his own typical reels and the offset check ones for Millward in the same factory at the same time.
Somewhere I have a S&W internally stamped with the crude drillings.

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

Thanks for the pictures gentlemen, I just made a new wing nut for the spool and will now start on the ratchet knob.

JW

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

JW1 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:03 pm I recently bought this reel at auction;

ImageImageImage

could anyone give a clue as to the maker please. it is aluminium, brass and wood and should look quite good when sorted.
It doesn't have a Slater latch or any readily noticeable markings.
I am working through its problems but I will leave that to another post.

JW
JW Look,s like a Smith & Wall 16. 1/2 R.C.

Return to “Other Reels”